Summary: We must live a life of holiness no matter what else is around us.
A G-Rated Life in an R-Rated World
August 10, 2008 Evening Service
Immanuel Baptist Church, Wagoner, OK
Message Point: We must live a life of holiness no matter what else is around us.
Focus Passage: Ephesians 5:1-14
Introduction: - “But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do.” (1 Pet. 1:15) – What are we doing w/ that verse?
- “For sin shall not be your master, b/c you are not under law but under grace.” (Rom. 6:14) – What are we doing w/ that verse?
- “Make every effort to live at peace with all men and to be holy; w/out holiness, no one will see the Lord.” (Heb. 12:14) – What are we doing w/ that verse?
- “For we know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.” (Ro. 6:6) – What are we doing w/ that verse?
- “Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature…” (Col. 3:5) – What are we doing w/ that verse?
- “Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather train yourself to be godly.” (1 Tim. 4:7) – What are we doing w/ that verse?
I. THE WAYS OF THE WORLD – v. 3-4
a. R-Rated things in the world
b. What does Paul say should be our reaction to these ways of the world?
II. A WARNING FROM GOD – v. 5-7
a. Like a tornado warning siren.
b. i. Those who continually and habitually practice a sinful lifestyle will not be a part of God’s kingdom. They will suffer His wrath.
ii. Not talking about an occasional act of sin.
iii. Talking about those whose basic life patterns are characterized by immorality, impurity, and greed.
c. The Christian life is so much more than just praying a prayer and getting your "fire insurance paid up."
i. Chances are that your fire insurance is NOT paid up if this is all you have done.
E. Titus 2:11-14 – The grace that saves us is also the grace that teaches us to deny our selfish sinful natures and live self-controlled lives.
F. This is why Paul says in 2 Cor. 13:5 to “examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves.”
i. Is there evidence in your life that you belong to Christ?
ii. Are you sinning w/ less frequency?
“A Christian is not sinless, but he does sin less.” – Warren Wiersbe
iii. Are you growing more concerned about the things of God and how you can please Him with your life, how to “walk worthy of the calling you have received”?
III. THE WAY TO LIVE – v. 8-14
a. What does it mean to live as children of light?
i. Living a life characterized by goodness, righteousness, and truth – v. 9
ii. Find out what pleases the Lord – v. 10
iii. Have nothing to do with the deeds of darkness anymore – v. 11
b. 2 Cor. 5:17 – “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”
Invitation: - Those who are Christians face the discipline of God.
- Those who are not Christians face the wrath of God.