Summary: An evangelistic sermon used at a Baptismal Service.
A gaoler gets baptised Acts 16:22-35
Gosh- whoever said being a Christian was boring!
- locked up. Praying and praising!. Listening in. Powerful earthquake. Chains loosed. Suicide attempt… Gaoler moves from death to life… let’s God into his life… gets dunked
And all before breakfast!
Well- Paul and Silas are the ones locked up. And it’s not one of our cosy little cells/scenarios, either
- whipped, stripped, “severely flogged”
- “guard them carefully!” (ie ‘it’s their life or yours’!)
o v24 ‘upon receiving SUCH orders -> inner cells and stocks
o oh dangerous folks, these followers of Jesus!
they might be kind to someone, or sing hymns!
For me: = time for ‘power winging’
- (heard of power dressing, lunching healing-> now WINGING)
Here’s the stonking thing- they don’t
- and you find v often, when Christians are under pressure (like this) -> they don’t! Some do, but many don’t
- “Christians are like tea bags- you don’t find out what they’re made of till they’re in hot water”
- as I’ve said before: how Christians react to trials is the GREATEST testimony to the reality and power of God and faith in Him
o seldom exempt from anything. But can be brought through ANYTHING
Richard Wurmbrand, imprisoned & often tortured for his faith “Alone in my cell, cold, hungry and in rags, I danced for joy every night... sometimes I was so filled with joy that I felt I would burst if I did not give it expression”
James Mawdsley told of same experience
So- why do some crumble in the prison of life, and others power through?
It has to do with faith. Life deals its blows, imprisonments and chains to ALL
- but these guys know God… Jesus is with them.
o NO- REALLY! They actually believe God is bigger than the prison and can work His plans out… get them out if need be… and even if the worst comes, death, they WIN.
- it’s not psychosis. There’s no denying the cell, pain- REALITY
o but no denying: seen Jesus do 100s of things before
The person who doesn’t actually believe in Jesus doesn’t have that.
- “hang on, you say! I believe about God… Jesus. I don’t get that assurance!”
o fair enough. Let’s acknowledge the REALITY of that
AND that there are times when our faith is pushed to its limit
AND that it is sometimes harder to watch someone else go through it. We don’t get sustained in the way they do
“happy is the person who does not fall away on behalf of me”
• Illustr: me and Perry, Rob Lacey
- but let me ask you: do you believe ABOUT God/Jesus (like so many do) or believe IN Him?
o big difference. Illustrate
Faith is believing IN Jesus. Faith is what pleases God
Heb 11:6 “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
How come Christians are so tough? Assured? Confident? (Humble I hope, too)
- “I wish I had your faith”!
- Actually, you can! It’s not a matter of having faith in itself- but faith in a BIG and FAITHFUL God. And it comes over time… and God develops it in you… and He doesn’t allow you too big a hurdle before your faith is up to it