Summary: We don’t know how this man got into the condition that he was in. A person that is degraded and weakened by sin will open themselves to the devil.
TITLE: A GRAVEYARD REVIVAL
SCRIPTURE: ST. MARK 5:1-8
What an exciting text hidden in the midst of the New Testament. This narrative is shared by three (3) of the synoptic gospels. The writer Mark provides us with the most detail of all the writers.
• Matthew gives the account 7 verses
• Luke 14 verse
• Mark 20 verses
It is fascinating to me to understand that Three worlds meet in this strange narrative: THE UNDERWORLD OF EVIL SPIRITS – THE VISIBLE WORLD OF HUMAN EXPERIENCE – THE UPPER WORLD OF DIVINE CONTROL. Evidently this encounter made quite an impression on the disciples because it is found in three gospels—MATTHEW – MARK - LUKE. The disciples never forgot how Jesus liberated a man infested with demons.
We don’t know how this man got into the condition that he was in. A person that is degraded and weakened by sin will open themselves to the devil. The Bible warns us not to give place to the devil. You remember that simple New Testament text don’t you? EPHESIANS 4:27 “NEITHER GIVE PLACE TO THE DEVIL.” We start out playing with the devil, next thing we know he takes charge of our lives.
• We start out innocently with a Ouija board
• We start out have our Palms Read
• We start out with Tarrant Cards
• We start out with a back in the woods Séance
• We gave the devil place and now he has control of our lives
This man living in the tombs in the midst of the local graveyard had been excommunicated from the town of Gadara. They had tried to restrain him with chains and fetters but they could not hold him. The people of Gadara could not rest or be at peace as long as they knew that this man was on the loose. There would be an errie feeling to come over the town as they heard his hellish cries and demonic laugh throughout the night. It all sounds like the page out of a horror story… but it is reality. A man that got so far into sin that demons took possession of his body. Can I tell you that Sin will always, always bring you down!
• He went down to Joppa
• He went down into the ship
• He went down into the sea
• He went down into the belly of the whale
• The Prodigal Son
• He went down into a far country
• He went down into immorality
• He went down into the hog-pens
• This man went down into the tombs!
• He left the land of the living to dwell among the dead
Of all the places in which to live…..Why was this demon possessed man living among the Tombs? I believe the wealthiest spot on this planet is not:
• The oil fields of Kuwait, Nigeria, Iraq or Saudi Arabia
• Neither is it the gold and diamond mines of South Africa
• It is not the uranium mines of the Soviet Union or the silver mines of Africa
Though it may surprise you, the richest deposits on our planet lie just a few blocks from your house. They rest in your local Cemetery or Graveyard. Buried beneath the soil within the walls of those sacred grounds are: