Summary: Fathers day sermon discussing the need for Dad's in today's world.
There once was a young mother who woke up one night and went into the nursery and found her husband looking down at their newborn baby who has asleep
• The Mother could tell that he was captivated by the scene as he stood there looking at their baby sleep.
• She was so touched that finally she tiptoed up behind him and put her arm around him and asked what are you thinking about?
• He said, I just can’t understand / how they can make a crib like this for only $89.95
Fathers are interesting creatures.
There has ALWAYS been a great need for Dads.
• We may think they’re weird because of what they wear
• Or their lack of emotions. / don’t show their feelings like Moms do
But Dad’s play an important role in our families
• So with this being said
• And today being Father’s Day
• I thought it would be the perfect oportunity to see what the Bible tells us about what makes a great dad?
1). First we see that A great dad loves his children.
Ps 103:13 The LORD is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
The word compassion means to love deeply & to cherish.
• Dads are to cherish and nurture their children.
• This isn’t just the job of Mom’s
• Even thou society thinks so
• Dads are supposed to love their kids too.
But, one of the problems that we have in the world today is that
• Men don’t understand this
• There are too many absent dads / Deadbeat dads /
• Far too many dads that aren’t living up to this example
2). A great dad is fair to his children.
Eph 6:4 And now a word to you fathers. Don’t make your children angry by the way you treat them.
The NIV says don’t exasperate your children.
• Don’t wear them out / Don’t nag them / Don’t make them hostile |Treat them fairly
• This doesn’t mean that we don’t discipline them.
• It means that We don’t punish them unfairly punish.
We have to be reasonable.
• Because we all know that sooner or later our kids are going to do things that they’re not supposed to
• We can expect this from them
3). A great dad takes the time to train and instruct his children.
Let’s look at the rest of the Ephesians 6:4 / at the 2nd half
Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord.
What kind of instruction?/ Is Paul Talking About
• He’s talking about Moral instruction / Spiritual instruction.
• A better way to say this is to teach them the truth.
• Teach them the difference between Right and wrong.
• Good and evil. Heaven and hell. Morality & Immorality.
And our Children’s response to this should be
• That as long as they live in their parent’s house
• I am going to obey you.”
• Now they may not always like it, They may not agree with it.
• But since they want to please God / Obey God
• They demonstrate this by obeying, you.”
As we look at these three responsibilities
• We see why it is so important that Dads be the kind of dads they were meant to be?
• We have a generation of children who don’t know the difference between right and wrong
• And the reason is Because they didn’t have any fatherly influence in their lives
They didn’t have Father’s who loved them / Treated them fairly / Taught them right from wrong.
• We have way to many young people who have a distorted view about God
• Because their relationship with their earthly father are so messed up.
• And now It’s hard for them to understand how God can be Loving /
• / Patient / Merciful.
• Because they haven’t been displayed by their Earthly Fathers
Transition: One of the greatest characteristics about God
• Is that He is a Father / Me / You / All of Us
• The truth is that each one of us here today has 2 Fathers.
• We have Our earthly father and / Our Heavenly Father.
• So going with the fact that today is Father’s day
• Here are some truths about God being our Father.
1st of all He will always be around.
Isa 9:6 For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will rest on his shoulders. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
God Our Heavenly Father isn’t going anywhere
• He will always be there / He’ll never walk out on us / He’ll never die.