Summary: But it won’t be easy and definitely not predictable. Hang on—it’s going to be a bumpy ride for Joseph and for us.
Shell Point Baptist Church
29 Dec 2013
All sermons are abbreviated
A Hero Rises
• Series Intro:
• Nearly every story contains one common thread.
• a fisherman or a preacher
• Nearly every person/Bible/his/her dark side revealed.
Noah got drunk.
• Abraham/Isaac/Jacob/lied to save their own hides.
• Moses committed murder. David/guilty/adultery.
• Solomon was an idolater. Peter cursed and lied.
• John the Baptist doubted Jesus/list could go on and on.
• Pages/Bible/filled/sins/people mentioned on its pages.
Verses/today introduce us to a man named Joseph.
• Eleventh son of the patriarch Jacob. “Jehovah has added”
• lived 110 years/not a single sin attributed to this man
• endured trials/afflictions most cannot even imagine
• Nowhere does/Bible hint his faith in God waivered.
• He never seemed to get his eyes off the Lord.
Whether he was in the place of favor/father’s house or languishing/prison, he/same man.
• Hardship did not harden his heart.
• Riches and power did not corrupt him.
• Same man regardless/circumstances/he found himself.
• Joseph was truly a unique man!
Every event/life of Joseph, God/busy fulfilling Rom. 8:28.
• Joseph/man for all seasons.
Never grow tired/telling how Joseph’s brothers betrayed him
• gripping tale/attempted seduction by a wife/wandering eye
• sad saga of false accusation and unjust imprisonment
• long lonely nights Joseph spent in prison
• unlikely journey he took from prison to the palace
• how he put his brothers to the test
• How/end it all came out alright
• he said/brothers who betrayed him
“You meant it for evil against me, but God meant it for good” (Gen. 50:20).
Joseph “a man for all seasons.” It seems like an apt title for a man who went through so many varied experiences.
• He was chosen and rejected.
• He was loved and hated.
• He was favored and abused.
• He was betrayed and rescued.
• He was promoted and imprisoned.
• He was tested and rewarded.
• He was slandered and praised.
• At no point did he ever take his eyes off the Lord.
• Adversity didn’t harden him.
• Prosperity didn’t ruin him.
• Temptation didn’t destroy him.
• Imprisonment didn’t embitter him.
• Promotion didn’t change him.
• He was a truly great man.
His Story in One Paragraph
• Favored son of his father Jacob.
• Enters/biblical history/17 yrs old.
Because his brothers hated him, he/sold/slave/taken to Egypt.
• After being falsely accused of rape
• Imprisoned with no hope of getting out.