Summary: Sermon 3 in series. 2 Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable. ALL scripture includes the genealogies and lists. At first, one may be tempted to overlook these passages and move on. You will be shocked at the tremendous
The Book of Ezra
A Jewish Homecoming!
• 2 Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
• ALL scripture includes the genealogies and lists.
• At first, one may be tempted to overlook these passages and move on.
• You will be shocked at the tremendous truths discovered in this list of names!
• There are 15,604 people listed under headings of 18 families and clans. (2:3-20)
• Then there is a listing of inhabitants (totaling 8,540) from 21 towns and villages (vv. 21-35)
• Then the priests (4,289 of them) were listed (vv. 36-39), followed by 341 Levites which included singers and gatekeepers (vv. 40-42). The temple servants (vv. 43-54) and descendants of the royal servants (vv. 55-58) totaled 392.
• Then there were the families that could not prove their ancestry.
▸ Three families of common people (59-60)
▸ Three families of priestly descendants (61-62)
• Ezra’s grand total of 49,897, counting servants, women and children.
• Note that the Nehemiah and Mordecai mentioned in the early verses are not the famous men by those names.
I. The Surprises of the List
• There exist surprises in the list.
• Things we would not expect until we look closely.
A. The Two Families Called Elam (7,31)
Ezra 2:7 The children of Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
Ezra 2:31 The children of the other Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
• Here are two families that are called the children of Elam (one v. 7, another v. 31), and, which is strange, the number of both is the same, 1254. Matthew Henry
• Rather than making this list questionable, the implication is, that the Bible is so accurate as to record a truth, even if that truth could cause suspicions of inaccuracy.
• This list of families shows again how surely we may cling to the Word of God.
B. The Affluence of the People Coming (65)
Ezra 2:65 Beside their servants and their maids, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and there were among them two hundred singing men and singing women.
• The male and female singers mentioned at the end of the chapter indicate the wealth of the people.
C. The family of Pashur (38)
Ezra 2:38 The children of Pashur, a thousand two hundred forty and seven.
• The fourth was Pashur, v. 38. If these were of the posterity of that Pashur that abused Jeremiah (Jer. 20:1), it is strange that so bad a man should have so good a seed, and so numerous. Henry, M.
D. The Nethinims (58)
Ezra 2:58 All the Nethinims, and the children of Solomon’s servants, were three hundred ninety and two.
• Matthew Henry feels that these are the Gibeonites, who deceived Joshua with the moldy bread.
• They were not destroyed, rather were accepted into Israel and made hewers of wood and drawers of water.
• They became the helpers of the Levites, doing the menial tasks.
• Though not all agree that these are the descendents of the Gibionites, if they are, then this is remarkable that they return home while millions of Jews of true pedigree stay in Babylon and will not leave the comforts.