Summary: A Kangaroo Court – Jesus on Trial - PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request email: email@example.com
The Five Pieces in the Puzzle:
(1). Caiaphas the High Priest (vs 53)
(2). The Sanhedrin (vs 55)
(3). The Witnesses (vs 56-59)
(4). Jesus (vs 60-61b)
(5). Peter (vs 66-72)
Taken from a book called "Disorder in the Court."
• Q: What is your date of birth?
• A: July fifteenth.
• Q: What year?
• A: Every year
• Q: What gear were you in at moment of the impact?
• A: A Gucci sweater and Reebok trainers.
• Q: How old is your son, the one living with you?
• A: Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which!
• Q: How long has he lived with you?
• A: Forty-five years.
• Q: What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke up that morning?
• A: He said, "Where am I, Cathy?"
• Q: And why did that upset you?
• A: My name is Susan.
• Q: Trooper, when you stopped the defendant, were your red and blue lights flashing?
• A: Yes.
• Q: Did the defendant say anything when she got out of her car?
• A: Yes, sir.
• Q: What did she say?
• A: What disco am I at?
• Q: All your responses must be oral, OK?
• A: OK.
• Q: What school did you go to?
• A: Oral.
(7). Or these one liners – stupid questions:
• Q: The youngest son, the 20-year old, how old is he?
• Q: Were you present when your picture was taken?
• From the ridiculous to the significant;
• We are looking this morning at Jesus on trial & the denial of Jesus by Peter the disciple.
• In the gospel of Mark these two stories are woven together.
Read: verses 53-54:
“They took Jesus to the high priest, and all the chief priests, elders and teachers of the law came together.
54 Peter followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. There he sat with the guards and warmed himself at the fire.
• Let us first look at the trial of Jesus Christ:
• Jesus was arrested about midnight in the Garden of Gethsemane,
• In the next twelve hours he will be tried six times – you heard right – six times;
• Before being crucified the following noon.
• Peloubet's Bible Dictionary gives the time of this chronology as follows:
• Friday Morning:
• First trial: Before Annas - 1 to 5 A.M.
• Second trial: Before Caiaphas - 1 to 5 A.M.
• Third trial: Before the Sanhedrin - 1 to 5 A.M.
• Fourth trial: Before Pilate - 5 to 6 A.M.
• Fifth trial: Before Herod - 5 to 6 A.M.
• Sixth trial: Before Pilate Again - 5 to 6 A.M.
• It’s worth noting that;
• None of the gospels give to us all six trials of Jesus in chronological order;
• You will need to do a bit of detective work/study yourself to get this information.
• Although there are plenty of commentaries or websites that do the hard work for you.
In our passage this morning (vs 53-65):
• Mark in his gospel records for us trial number two.
• Jesus before Caiaphas.