Summary: Introduction to Book of Romans
John Calvin: “If a man understands Romans he has a sure road open to help him understand the entire Bible.”
Five Basic Questions to Answer:
1) Who wrote the book of Romans? Paul
Paul was a product of three different cultures:
Religiously he was a Hebrew.
Culturally he was a Greek.
Politically he was a Roman Citizen.
2) To whom was the book of Romans written? Believers in Rome
Romans 1:7 “To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints…” (NIV)
Key: Paul had never been to Rome at time of this letter.
3) When was the book of Romans written? A.D. 58 in Corinth
Key: Never underestimate the power of a letter!
Paul: Wrote thirteen books of the New Testament!
4) Why did he write the book of Romans? Three Reasons
There was a Personal Reason.
There was an Educational Reason.
There was a Financial Reason.
5) What is the Message? The Gospel of Jesus!
Overview of the Book of Romans:
Donald Barnhouse: “God has always used the book of Romans to renew, refresh and revitalize the church.”
Prayer: God will you use Romans to make us what you want us to be!