Summary: Men like Joshua and Moses followed God through difficutl times. A sold out life.
A LIFE PLEASING TO GOD
Introduction: Song Let My Life Be A Light
I. SALVATION IS A MUST
A. You must be born again.
II. COMPLETE DEVOTION
A. To whom do you pledge allegiance?
1. To the Flag of the U.S.?
2. To the Lamb? Ray Boltz --- I Pledge Allegiance
To The Lamb
B. How far would you be willing to go?
1. Allegiance to your country could mean the ultimate
2. Allegiance to the Lamb could mean the ultimate
sacrifice. A life and dying out to sin and
possibly dying for the gospel.
C. What would you be willing to give up?
1. The world?
5. Your Pride?
D. What would you be willing to give?
3. Personal resources?
1. The son of Nun 13: 8
2. Tribe of Ephraim
1. Josephus imagines that Moses led an Egyptian army
against the Ethiopians. It is likely that Joshua
had served in Pharoah's army before the Exodus.
2. Moses considered him sufficiently battle-tested to
appoint him leader of the Israelite defense
against the attack of the Amalekites at Rephidim.
Exodus 17:8-16 Read
3. Served as personal minister to Moses when on Mount
Sinai Moses received the law.
Exodus 24:13 And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and
Moses went up into the mount of God. 32:17 And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses, There is a noise of war in the camp.
4. Joshua was in attendance whenever the Lord would speak to Moses in the tent of meeting outside the camp.
Exodus 33:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
5. Selected as one of the twelve spies to search the land of Canaan.
Numbers 13:1-3, 8, 16 Read
C. Appointed to Leadership
1. Commissioned by Moses Numbers 27: 15 - 23 Read
2. Instruction and Encouragement before assuming complete leadership.
Deut. 3: 21-28 Read
3. Continued encouragement. Deut 31:7 And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it.
4. Assuming Complete Leadership Deut 34:7-9 Read
D. Leadership Qualities
1. He was humble enough to recognize that he was not the
gifted and educated man that Moses was. Joshua
accepted himself and thus leaned all the more heavily
upon the Lord. He was not too big for God to use: hence God could exalt him.
2. He was a man of strong faith and faithful to his
calling. When the divine Commander-in -Chief appeared
to him as he scouted the Jericho defenses, Joshua was
quick to bow in worship and receive orders how to
capture the enemy. Joshua followed God's instructions
to the last point.
3. He saturated his mind and heart with the word of God,
meditating therein day and night. Thus the people had
confidence to execute his decisions and he could
appeal to them at his life's end to continue adhering
to the law of Moses.
4. He displayed sound military strategy. By capturing Ai
and silencing Bethel he took the heart of Canaan
first, and cut the land in two. He was able to
campaign separately against the southern and northern
kings. His military policy was a combination of
surprise and speed.
5. He was an able administrator in peace as well as
E. Joshua ---An example
1. Faith Numbers14:6-8 And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of them that searched the land, rent their clothes: 7 And they spake unto all the company of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land. 8 If the LORD delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey.
and 14:30 Doubtless ye shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.
2. Entire Consecration Numbers 32:12 Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the LORD. And 34:17 These are the names of the men which shall divide the land unto you: Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun.