Summary: Live life with a readiness, an openness, and a willingness to preach the Word...when it’s expected and when it’s not.
OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO 1 John 3:1-3 & 2 TIM 4
1. I believe it is God’s will & His steadfast desire that every generation live with the urgent expectancy that Jesus can and will return at any moment.
a. That our lives would be tempered & targeted toward holy living and righteous conduct.
b. That our hearts would be settled & spent on winning the lost.
c. On sharing the gospel… On loving the people Jesus died for!
d. It’s His love that so captures our hearts. Isn’t it?
e. He’s coming back. Soon. At any moment!
John 14.1-4 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 "And where I go you know, and the way you know."
NOTE: I WILL COME AGAIN AND RECEIVE YOU TO MYSELF…
• That’s the promise of Jesus! A promise to hold on to!
• Matthew, Mark, Peter, Luke, Paul, John… believers for centuries, all the way through the present day lived expecting to see Jesus!
• It changed their lives and the lives of those around them!
REMEMBER, 2 Timothy has been called Paul’s Dying Epistle.
• His final words to young Timothy before he loses His life.
• Isn’t it great to see that Paul didn’t waver in his life.
• His heart was steadfast toward His God.
• We see this in his letters… in Galatians, probably the first written by Paul He says:
Gal. 1.10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
AND NOW TO TIMOTHY:
2 Tim. 4.7-8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
• Either way, looking forward or back, His eyes were on the Lord!
NOTE: Ever wonder why great men & women fall away?
• Have you ever known someone that you thought was spiritual strong and mature? On the outside they looked like a ROCK!
• You watched their life & thought, “I think he’s a good example”. “She sure is strong!” I really need to spend some time with him
• But through the test of time & temptation, they FELL: HARD?!
• Although outwardly they looked strong, inwardly they were weak! HERE’S THE ANSWER, the INSIGHT.
APP: Too many men & women (strong & weak) have fallen by the wayside because there is NO FEAR OF GOD in them.
• There’s not that healthy awe & respect for God or His Word or His will… Jesus’ is coming back? Ah… forget it.
• Obey? Submit? Change? I Don’t HAVE TO!
Psalm 36.1-3 An oracle within my heart concerning the transgression of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes. 2 For he flatters himself in his own eyes, When he finds out his iniquity and when he hates. 3 The words of his mouth are wickedness and deceit; He has ceased to be wise and to do good.
But that’s not Paul… He ran his race with Joy and now leaves these, His final words to his dear son in the faith Timothy… and to us.
I. (4.1-5) READY: To Share His Word
1. (1) I CHARGE YOU TIMOTHY.
a. Because ALL SCRIPTURE is inspired & profitable Timothy, I charge you…
b. You can tell, this is a very serious moment, very important.
c. It was serious not just because Paul was facing death, but even more so because they would face Jesus one day!
d. That they would have to give account for their lives before the Living God! He shall judge the living & the dead!
EVER LOSE YOUR EDGE in the fear of the Lord: Begin to remember that ONE day you will meet God and account for your life!
Amos 4.12 "Therefore thus will I do to you, O Israel; Because I will do this to you, Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!"
1 Peter 4.17 For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?