Summary: 1. What Things Do People Pursue In Life? 2. Directive Thinking 3. Why Death- v.6? 4.What Will We Believe?
Onesimus was an unfaithful servant when he fled from his master Philemon. But while on the run he came to know the Master. As a transformed man, he served God faithfully and was invaluable to Paul’s ministry. When Paul sent him back to Philemon, he commended him as one “who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me” (1:11). He asked Philemon to receive Onesimus back as a brother v.16.
Romans 8:5 (AV)
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
- The flesh is the proud & unsubmissive heart
- Selfish & self-seeking
What Things Do People Pursue In Life?
• Big Cars
• Big, Lovely Houses
• Many Possessions
• Alcohol And Drugs
• Thrills, Excitement
Only a select few through the ages have pursued.
• Spiritual Truth
• The Welfare of Others
• Understanding of Oneself
• Spiritual Understanding
• Inner Peace
• Good Health
• Emotional Balance
• Happy Growing Marriage
• Good Children
What is more important in life?
---- Many possessions or a good marriage?
---- Good eating or good health?
---- Inner peace or the acceptance of others?
---- Social status or understanding of oneself?
---- Spiritual understanding or pleasure?
- What things should we pursue?
- Where ought our priorities to be?
- What is really important in life and what isn't?
- Rom 8:5 - We make a choice between the senses & Spirit
Romans 8:6 (AV)
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
- For the thinking of the flesh is death, the thinking of the Spirit is life and peace.
- To have the mind obsessed with self is death but to have the mind dominated by the Spirit is life & peace
Proverbs 23:7 (AV)
7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: ….
1 Corinthians 10:12 (AV)
12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
Why Death- v.6?
1. v.7 – “enmity” – Hostile against God
2. v.7- Ignores God
3. v.8 - Living only for self
4. Scorning the cross & death of Christ
What Will We Believe?
- The other side of v.6
- Do you trust what the Bible says is true?
- There is death for the gratification of self
- Life – Satisfaction, Contentment, Joy, Purpose
“Peace” Originally meant “binding together that which was broken”
John 14:27 (AV)
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 16:33 (AV)
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
For almost 100 years, a huge piece of flawed marble lay in the courtyard of a cathedral in Florence, Italy. Then, in 1501, a sculptor was asked to do something with it. He measured the block and noted its imperfections. In his mind, he envisioned a young shepherd boy.
For 3 years, he chiseled and shaped the marble skillfully. Finally, when the 18-foot towering figure of David was unveiled, his student exclaimed to Michelangelo, “Master, it lacks only one thing—speech!”