Summary: God will do what He says that He will do. In addition, our commitment to the Lord provides a great source of hope for us in the midst of our trials.
Text: Psalm 27:1-6 (NASB)
Introduction: This morning we are continuing our series on Hope. We have learned that our confidence in the Lord is a provider of hope. We have also learned that our confidence in the performance of the Lord is a wonderful source of hope. This is because God will do what He says that He will do. In addition, our commitment to the Lord provides a great source of hope for us in the midst of our trials.
I. Our comfort in the Lord provides hope.
A. Psalm 27:5 (NASB) 5For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock.
B. Psalm 27:5 (AMP) 5For in the day of trouble He will hide me in His shelter; in the secret place of His tent will He hide me; He will set me high upon a rock.
C. God has a sheltered place for us.
1. David tells us that the Lord will hide him in His shelter.
2. A king’s shelter was a tent that was erected in the middle of the army’s encampment.
3. The tent was then surrounded by an army of brave soldiers.
4. With all the host of the army camped about, the king’s tent was the safest place on the battlefield.
5. Those who were fortunate enough to be allowed to enter the king’s tent were protected by the soldiers and entertained by the king during the battle!
6. The word “hide” here in this verse means “to treasure away.”
7. As the battles of life rage about us, we are safely tucked away in our King’s shelter.
8. The Bible tells us that our lives are hidden away with Christ in God.
9. Colossians 3:3 (AMP) 3For [as far as this world is concerned] you have died, and your [new, real] life is hidden with Christ in God.
10. What does it mean that a believer’s life is “hidden with Christ”?
11. Hidden means concealed and safe.
12. This is not only a future hope, but an accomplished fact right now.
13. Our service and conduct do not earn our salvation, but they are results of our salvation.
14. Take heart that your salvation is sure, and live each day for Christ.
15. Could there be a safer place in the entire universe?
16. Of course not!
17. Those who have entered His shelter are protected by Him and, even while the battles rage around them, they are entertained with the peace and joy of the King Himself.
18. This is a promise to those who will abide in that close place!
19. No enemy can penetrate the defenses and enter this private place.
20. The shelter of the King is protected from the enemy!
21. The assurance of His sheltering place allows us to weather the storms of life with hope.
22. This assurance allowed the Apostle Paul to continue even when he suffered greatly.
23. 2nd Corinthians 12:7-11 (NASB) 7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 11I have become foolish; you yourselves compelled me actually I should have been commended by you, for in no respect was I inferior to the most eminent apostles, even though I am a nobody.
D. Psalm 27:5 (NASB) 5For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock.
E. God has a secret place for us.
1. The word “tabernacle” brings to mind the place of worship.
2. The “secret” refers to the “holy of holies”.
3. That place which was off limits to all but the High Priest, and he could only enter there one day per year, and the only with the blood of an innocent sacrifice.
4. It was a place that other men entered under the penalty of death.
5. Yet, it is that secret place, to which God takes His precious friends.
6. The Holy of Holies was a place where the very presence of God dwelt and the glory of God could be seen.