Summary: Misery can cause people to come to Jesus.
17Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
1. I thought about titling this “A Miserable Sermon”.
2. For someone to really get in church, they have to realize how MISERABLE they are without the Lord.
3. Notice Jesus saying, “knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:”
4. If you came to church today because you feel miserable – half the battle has been won.
5. People have to realize that all the pleasures of the world will not bring the happiness that they truly seek.
6. You can have everything the world has to offer, but hopefully realize that you are poor, blind and naked spiritually without Jesus as the driving force in your life.
2Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
1. You were going with the flow of what the world promoted.
2. You thought about sin and did sin - but all of it didn’t fulfill the emptiness deep inside.
4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
1. If you are miserable today, you’ve come to the right place.
2. God’s mercy, love and grace is reaching for you this morning.
3. Maybe you are down? - but Jesus can lift you up to spiritual heights.
12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
1. Do you feel like you’re on the outside looking in?
2. An alien, a stranger with no hope because you’ve been living for the world and not God.
13But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
1. You don’t have to stay away from the Lord.
2. Your sins that separate you can be washed away by the blood of Jesus.
3. If Jesus did it for me, he can do it for you.
18I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
1. Jesus spoke of refined gold – burning off the impurities – dealing with the sin.
2. White raiment represents righteousness. You need to accept a new lifestyle – now with morals and character.
3. We need eye salve to help us see better. Things were once blurry – but now I see. I have better understanding.
43And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, 44Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. 45And Jesus said, Who touched me?
1. Let me tell you – this woman was miserable for 12 years.
2. Her misery was more than just health problems.
25And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she shall be unclean.
1. Not only was she miserable from her health problem, but society declared her unclean.
2. She had no love life for 12 years.
3. She went everywhere seeking relief for her problem.
4. She spent all she had and still was miserable.
5. HER MISERY CAUSED HER TO TURN TO THE LORD.
6. Then she decided to reach out for the Lord and by touching him, she was made whole.
18To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.