Summary: A MOTHER SHOULD REQUEST OF THE LORD GREATNESS FOR HER CHILDREN AND FAMILY BASED ON KINGDOM REALITY.
A MOTHER’S REQUEST
MATTHEW 20: 20 – 28
MAY 12, 2002 MOTHER’S DAY
INTRODUCTION: Mamas, Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys: Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. Written by Ed Bruce and Patsy Bruce.
Cowboys ain’t easy to love and they’re harder to hold. They’d rather give you a song than diamonds or gold. Lonestar belt buckles and old faded levis, And each night begins a new day. I you don’t understand him, an’ he don’t die young, He’ll prob’ly just ride away.
Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys. Don’t let ‘em pick guitars or drive them old trucks. Let’em be doctors and lawyers and such. Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys. ‘Cos they’ll never stay home and they’re always alone. Even with someone they love.
Cowboys like smokey old pool rooms and clear mountain mornings, Little warm puppies and children and girls of the night. Them that don’t know him won’t like him and them that do, Sometimes won’t know how to take him. He ain’t wrong, he’s just different but his pride won’t let him, Do things to make you think he’s right.
Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys. Don’t let ‘em pick guitars or drive them old trucks. Let ‘em be doctors and lawyers and such. Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys. ‘Cos they’ll never stay home and they’re always alone. Even with some one they love.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: What do Moms hope for their children? Do Moms want their Kids to grow up to be something respectable, or even Great? Do Moms want their children to grow up to be less than desirable? Our text for today may not sound like material for a mother’s day sermon. It is interesting to note how our Lord moves from a mother’s request to redirect the thinking of these sons of thunder (Mark 3: 17). Do you think Jesus understands the love of a mother for her children? Do you think that Jesus would expect any less from a mother than to desire the very best for her children? The reality of our text teaches us that our Lord’s desire for every mother and her children is to understand Kingdom realities versus worldly realities. To this end I desire to speak today. I think the Lord has a message for all of us today, but especially for our MOMS. The message is God has a plan and a book full of examples for us to follow on what it is to be a mother that pleases the Lord.
THESIS SENTENCE: A MOTHER SHOULD REQUEST OF THE LORD GREATNESS FOR HER CHILDREN AND FAMILY BASED ON KINGDOM REALITY.
SO HOW DOES A MOTHER ASK THE LORD FOR GREATNESS BASED ON KINGDOM REALITY?
I. A MOTHER PRAYS (VV. 20-21)!
A. A mother’s prayers
1. The greatest lesson to be learned from the text is the very presence of the mother in the text.
2. Not only is her presence powerful (SHE LEADS HER BOY TO THE LORD), but how about her posture? Notice how she approaches the Lord.
3. What happens when a mother prays?
4. Do you remember Hannah and her prayer for a Son (I Sam. 1: 10-11, 19-20)? God answered!
5. Did Jesus do any less for this mother? No, though her request was not answered as asked, her request was nonetheless answered. God answers the prayers of a mother!!
B. A mother’s heart
1. What on earth was this mother thinking? “May my sons sit on your Left hand and Right hand in the Kingdom (verse21)?”
2. What does any mom what for her children? Jesus addresses this in verse 26 of our text. Jesus knew that this mother wanted greatness for her sons and really He want to give them greatness!! The reality is just backward from the world, to be the greatest is to be the servant!
3. Has this mother sinned? Jesus response leads us to believe that this mother had only made one mistake, she asked Jesus for something HE could not give. But, what he could give he did, A share in His reality, they too could drink from His cup (verse 22)!
TRUTH: THERE IS NOTHING MORE POWERFUL THAN THE PRAYER OF A MOTHER!
II. A MOTHER MODELS (VV. 20)!
A. An example set
1. I mentioned earlier, but must make mention again, this mother lead her sons to Jesus.
2. Just what do you think about this? What more could be said? Mom, do you lead your children to Jesus? What do you model, not only at church, but at home, on vacation, where ever you are? Children watch their parents! The example we set will be the example they follow! Our faith is not as much taught as caught! How often do you lead your children to Jesus? What priority is Jesus in your life? I want to make a bold statement here: REGARDLESS OF WHAT DAD DOES, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? YOU MUST LEAD THE CHILDREN TO JESUS!!