Summary: The Church must issue to our nation a call to repentance. A Memorial Day sermon
A Nation Blessed Ps. 33:12
INTRO.: America, all through its history, has been richly blessed. Sadly, there are those who don’t recognize a debt to God. Memorial Day is a day we set aside to remember those who have served in our nation’s armed forces and recommit ourselves to the values for which they fought and died. We need to remember what has made our nation great.
ILLUS.: DeTouqueville quote. Attached at end.
The Church must call America to repentance.
I. There are signs of decline in our national life:
A. Some say we are becoming a godless nation:
1. Someone said the 10 commandments should be called 10 suggestions. I wonder if we give them that much respect.
2. Morally, we consider personal purity outdated.
3. Human life seems to have little value. We kill for cars, coats, sneakers. Even youth take murder to school.
4. ILLUS.: Abe Lincoln said If America is destroyed, it will be by suicide.
B. Perhaps it is not that we are godless.
1. We worship success, money, pleasure, sex, fame, power. Do not have time for True God.
2. We compartmentalize our lives, giving God only a few hours each week at best.
3. He cannot be treated like this. We can’t escape His Presence. Ps. 139:7-10
4. When we place other things before God, we reject God. He will reject us.
II. Consider Jesus’ parable of the vineyard: Matt. 21:33-43
A. Israel was His nation. Priests, Pharisees His leaders.
1. He made a promise thru Moses. Ex. 19:5, 6 " "Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites."
2. He renewed His promise later: II Chron. 7:14
3. But, when Jesus came, they showed their contempt by rejecting and killing Him.
B. God rejected them. Now where are God’s people?
1. I Pet. 2:9f: The Church is God’s people. "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
2. God is no longer concerned with geography, genealogy. Acts 10:34, 35
3. He sent His Gospel message to the entire world.
C. Warning: we serve an all-seeing God.
1. His description: Ps. 33:13-15 "From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth-- he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.
2. "Forms the hearts of all men and considers what they do." A sobering thought.
3. Just as He took the Kingdom away from Israel for unfaithfulness, He may also judge us.
III. How can we apply all this to our modern age?
A. Our God no longer promises to bless only one nation exclusively. He draws His people from all nations together into His Church:
1. He knows political corruption. intrigue in our nation.
2. Recognizes our decline in moral values.
3. Is aware of how lightly we regard human life
4. Sees indifference in Church, knows when we are afraid to take a stand for truth.