Summary: God must become more than a hobby or a secondary thing in our life; He must become A Necessary God.
A. Rarely do I take only one verse such as this and build an entire message around it;
1. However, I have felt strongly impressed to emphasize the words that Job is stating here;
a. I strongly believe that each of us needs to develop the sort of relationship with God that Job described here in these words:
(1) More than just an extra-curricular activity
(2) More than just a sideline hobby
(3) More than just a status symbol of church-going on Sunday
B. The God that we serve—the Jehovah of the Old Testament who became Jesus in the New Testament—this God must become the central figure around which our entire life revolves.
1. More than even the breath that we breath, the beat of our heart, and yes, more than our “necessary food”...
a. God must become A Necessary God!
II. Our Text
A. The 23rd chapter in the story of Job is one that perhaps all of us have identified with at one point or another in our life.
1. Job basically states that, “If I knew where I could find Him (God), I would argue my case with Him...”
a. However, as most of us have felt at one time or another,
(1) “I go forward, but He is not there”
(2) “Backward, but I cannot perceive Him”
(3) “On the left hand...I cannot behold Him”
(4) “...on the right hand...I cannot see Him”
b. Have you ever felt like God couldn’t be found no matter which direction you turned?
B. This, however, leads us to Job’s emphatic statement:
1. “He knoweth the way that I take...”
a. Job’s statement that, “when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold” cannot be separated from the rest of his words:
(1) “My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.”
b. Ladies and gentlemen, Job was not only stating that “When God gets finished with me, I’ll be okay;”
(1) I believe he was stating—to his supposed “friends” as well as to God—that “He knows I’ve been faithful, and He knows how important He is to me!”
C. It never hurts you to remind God that He is A Necessary God to you!
1. Come on...somebody needs to quit mealy-mouthing with God, trying to pray all those pretty prayers!
a. You need to get seriously romantic with God!
b. You need to get mushy with God!
c. You need to get down to business with God and let Him know that He is the most important thing in your life!
2. It’s not enough for me to stand here and tell you—or any other congregation—how precious He is to me, how important He is to me, how much I need Him.
a. I need to get passionate with Him and let Him know:
(1) More than the air I breathe
(2) More than my next heartbeat
(3) More than my “necessary food”
(a) I NEED GOD!!!
i) He is A Necessary God!!!
III. A Necessary God
A. To you and I, this scripture seems self-explanatory:
1. It would seem enough to tell God that you need Him more than the food that sustains your life.
a. He is, after all
(1) The Bread of Life
(2) The Living Water
(a) And we laugh when we think about only getting bread and water rations!