Summary: It is a fact that the God of the universe loved us so much that one day he stepped out of heaven, taking on the very nature of a servant, made in the likeness of man and started the journey toward his death on the cross.
“A New Attitude”
The story is told of a young girl who was playing outside on the sidewall when she noticed a long line of ants crawling across, from one side of the sidewalk to the other. The ants got to the other side, one by one they fell off to the ground. So she ran inside to ask her daddy ….how can I keep the ants from falling off the sidewalk? He just laughed and said go try again. So she went back down so she went back out to and decided she would you speak really loudly and tell them to be careful, you’re going in the wrong direction, you need to stop. But it didn’t work. Finally she said I guess if I’m going to get them to listen to me I’ve got to become an ant too and go down there and live with them. Then maybe they would listen.
Throughout the Old Testament the prophets spoke, God perform miracles...
• God took a Bush and turned it into a burning bush without any explanation of where the fire came from
• Joshua prayed one day and the day was made longer just because of his prayer
• the River Jordan was divided, split into and the Israelites walked across on dry land.
• Miracle after miracle happened. God spoke again and again and again. Yet Israel was still far away from God. Taking over 1000 years, God spoke through the prophets. Then came a time in between the Testaments, a period of 400 years often known as the silent years-the time between the writing of the book of Malachi and the book of Matthew-a time when God seemed to be silent, as though he was pondering what to do to get our attention-to get his people to listen.
Then one day you set I think to get their attention I must go down myself, become one of them-walk with them, live with them, then perhaps they will listen. Paul wrote these words in Philippians 2:5-11.
Is a fact that the God of the universe loved us so much that one day he stepped out of heaven, taking on the very nature of a servant, made in the likeness of man and started the journey toward his death on the cross. God himself came down from heaven. He became like us, gave his life for us and by receiving him we can then become like him. Of all the man who ever lived not impacted this world as Jesus did.
Look at this passage with me. Paul begins by making this statement to all of us. Your attitude should be the same as that of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the benchmark for how we should think. He is the guide for every word we speak and every action we take. Paul tells us to let this mind be in each of us, very mind of Christ and then each day to allow his mind and his thoughts to renew ours. He wants to give us a new way of thinking.
(1) God could have sent an angel. Instead he came in person. Let me give you a truths here and from the Scripture Jesus is God. Their nature is identical. They are one. They are completely equal. Many of us believe especially this time of year that Jesus got his start in Bethlehem. But actually the Bible is very clear that Jesus has always existed. John 1:1 says in the beginning the word already existed. The word was with God and the Word was God. The Jehovah’s witnesses who will not on your door from time to time have this verse wrong. They have translated this verse to say the word was a God. In other words, one of many. That is not what the Scripture teaches.