Summary: A new look into how we pray, humble ourselves, and seek God in revival.
A NEW LOOK AT THE REVIVAL FORMULA
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land” (II Chronicles 7:14).
1. Easy formula to remember: 2 X 7 = 14 is symbolic of II Chronicles 7:14.
4 conditions: “If”
7 is the key to remember, i.e. 2 x 7 = 14.
2. Two focus.
(1) If my people = the problem with America is the church, not government, Republicans or Democrats. The worst commentary on the 1996 presidential election is not the candidate who got in, but the people who put him in.
According to a poll, 65% of the people who voted for Clinton, did so in spite of his character flaws. Americans voted against character.
(2) Heal thy land. The issue today is healing the nation. (Obviously, land does not mean physical land but economic, political, and religious life.)
B. THE CHALLENGE
1. The cold war is over.
2. Communism is bankrupt.
3. Old ideologies have failed.
4. There is a growth of racism around the world. Black VS black in Africa. People group against people group in the old nation of Yugoslavia. A voter proposition for racial equality in California is called racism by both sides. America tries to solve one racial crisis after another, and then another springs up like dandelions.
5. Fights in America over immigrants.
6. Business as usual, i.e. greed, lying to IRS, business take-overs that destroy individuals.
7. Individual’s fear of crime.
8. Rodney King asked a question, “Can’t we all get along?” There will be no peace until the Prince of Peace rules.
a. Rules in each heart.
b. Rules in business.
c. Rules in the home.
d. Rules in government.
9. Today we see “Nation rising against nation, and people against people” (Matt. 24:7).
10. The O. J. Simpson trial is a “lose-lose” situation: he loses - we lose. Another way of saying it - “whites lose - blacks lose.” The O. J. trial is a symbol of lawlessness because the law is handcuffed by the law so that there is no law. The blacks mistrust the law to do the right thing; the whites mistrust the law to do the right thing. The problem is everyone seems to mistrust the government.
Both liberals and conservatives seem to mistrust government to do the right thing.
11. Our disappointment is rooted in false expectations.
We expect too much from government. Our expectations should be from God.
C. “MY PEOPLE” WHAT WE MUST DO
1. A man in the gap. The person to stand in the gap
must take the spiritual initiative and apply the
prescription of revival. The “Gap Man” must
stand between God and the lost world (Ezekiel
2. Humble themselves. This means to see their sin as
God sees it.
a. Look at yourself through the Book, i.e. God’s
b. Look at yourself through the eyes of others.
c. Look at yourself through the eyes of failure.
3. Pray. This is fasting and prayer.
4. Seek God’s face. This is more than quality time,