Summary: Christ gives us a new life.
A New Way of Life
A. In Ephesians 1 Paul showed how God worked through Christ to accomplish His purpose. In chapter 2 he discussed what it means to be a Christian and to be a part of God’s purpose. The difference between an unbelieving sinner and a saved believer is the difference between life and death.
B. God took the initiative long ago in delivering us from sin and He does so because of His rich mercy and great love. Even though persons are dead in sins God is willing to give them new life in Christ, a better life found only in Christ.
C. This new life is being raised up from the deadliness of sin and joined together in Christ Jesus. That is like living in heaven while we are still on earth.
D. We ought to praise God that He chose to do something with us. As I share with you today the following blessings, you take a moment to thank God for their reality in your life. Perhaps as I share them with you it becomes evident that they are not a reality in your life. My question to you then is, "What will you do with what Christ has done for you?"
I. God has made you alive when you used to be dead. (1-3)
A. Consider the reality of death.
1. Death is a physical reality. (He. 9:27; graveyards, funerals)
2. Death is a spiritual reality. We weren’t sick, we weren’t bad, we weren’t sorry or wicked. We were dead. Spiritually separated from God.
3. Paul said in Romans 5 that these deaths, both physical and spiritual, are inherited deaths. You didn’t go looking for them, they came freely to you.
a. "through the offense of one many be dead"
b. "by one man’s offense death reigned by one"
c. "sin hath reigned unto death"
d. "for the wages of sin is death"
B. Consider the reason for death.
1. Death comes because of an inward condition. Vs. 1 We might get a little bit nervous today talking about human depravity, but Paul couldn’t have painted a much uglier picture. "You were dead in your trespasses and sins!"
a. You were born this way and you chose to stay this way.
b. You couldn’t change it if you wanted to, and the easiest thing to do is to deny it.
2. But death also comes because of an outward condition. Vs. 2-3 Explain verses. Whether you liked it or not you were a follower of the Devil. There is no other to follow. You are either following Jesus in this life or you are following the Devil.
C. Consider the result of death.
1. The result of spiritual death at the moment of physical death is eternal separation from God in a real and literal Devil’s hell.
2. People doubt all the time about Hell. A new believer was on a plane with an intellectual man. He sneered at her reading the Bible. He asked her if she really believed all the stuff in it, to which she replied yes. What about Jonah and the whale story? Yes. Well then, how did it happen? I don’t know she said, I suppose I’ll ask him when I see him in heaven. What if Jonah isn’t there? Then I guess you can ask him.
2. What do you have to do to go to Hell? Nothing! If you don’t do anything with Jesus then be assured you’ll go straight to hell. There is no second chance, there is no other hope.