Summary: As christians we often consent to being swayed from the truth
North College Ave. Baptist Church
October 24, 2004 AM
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
Paul skips his standard thanksgiving section and moves directly to the problem. Paul had spent some time with this church (Acts 18:23) and was awe struck at there willingness to be swayed from the truth..
I. Paul’s shock at their instability, vs.6
A. They had willingly consented to be swayed from the gospel of Jesus Christ
1. The same Jesus who had called them, vs.6
2. Who gave himself for our sins, vs. 4
3. To deliver us from this present evil age, vs. 4
4. By the will of God the Father, vs. 4
B. This is so shocking because:
1. It was God’s grace that called them into grace
2. Not into works of the flesh
II. They had not been moved from God’s grace.
A. Not moved from God’s love, which has the fruit of:
1. Their calling
a. Effect of God’s love,
b. Evidence of God’s love, changed life
2. Fullness of God’s love
d. peace, love, joy, patience, gentleness, goodness, meekness,
B. But moved from the message of God’s grace (gospel)
1. to another gospel
a., which is not a gospel at all, vs. 7
b. but is a false message because they added works of the flesh
2. They did not deny Christ
a. desired to add circumcision to salvation
b. asserts that God’s gospel message lacked saving power
c. required an act of man to complete salvation
d. salvation by Christ was inadequate and the gospel of Christ as taught by Paul not truthful
III. Some teachers, vs.7
A. Trouble you:
1. Causing disputes and controversies
2. Injecting doubt, despair, through lies
3. Destroying the peace of the gospel of Jesus
1. What should be the reaction of A Christian to such trouble?
2. Where can we discover again that grace, peace, so on?
3. Back to the Word of God!!!!
. B. Pervert the Message of Christ
1. What is the message of Jesus Christ? (justification, atonement,
2. Who is the author of our salvation?
3. Who is the subject of our salvation?
IV. Don’t mess with perfection, vs.8
A. God’s message of salvation is perfect, pure truth
B. Gospel is everlasting, unchangeable, and immoveable
1. perversion is to be expected, Matt 24:24; 2 Thes 2:7-9
2. miracles not evidence of truth, Deut. 13:1-3
3. credentials not evidence of truth, I Kings 13:18
C. Let such a preacher be eternally damned, vs. 8,9
V. Don’t mess with Paul, vs.10
A. Have I just spoken to please men (as accused by these false teachers)