Summary: A Biblical and Social look at why Homosexuality is a Sin that will harm our Nation
A Politically Incorrect Look At Homosexuality
There are those out there who seek to make legitimate something that is sinful and harmful to our country.
Events in the Past Few Months that prompt this sermon!
- Episcopal Church ordains an openly Gay man as a Bishop last fall. The only good thing that can be said is that the Episcopal church’s attendance and income have been declining since.
- Massachusetts - The Massachusetts Supreme Court ruled last November that homosexuals should have the right to marry - That state is in a war as forces are trying to pass a law that will define marriage as an act between a man and a woman.
- San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom - gave orders to allow gay couples to marry - ignoring a law ratified by a majority of the State’s voters that defined marriage as an act between a man and a woman.
Do not think it will just go away if we ignore it. The contrary is most likely. This will grow and explode into many more and bigger problems. Already, a county in New Mexico is considering issuing marriage licences to gay couples and the Mayor Daley of Chicago as said that he is in favor of the idea of allowing gay weddings in the Windy City.
What we as Christians need now, is simple, we need to be grounded in what the Bible says about homosexuality:
I. What the Bible Say about the Sin of
A. Rom 1:18-32 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
1. There are a few things to note in this passage:
2. The context, starting at Verse 18 is that God is angry and His wrath is being poured out because of ungodliness.
3. They did not acknowledge God and their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
4. V26 God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
5. V32Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
B. I Cor 6: 9-11Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.