Summary: Heartbreaks that Pastor’s experience that members don’t understand
2 TIM.4:9-18 "A PREACHER’S HEARTBREAK"
* I want to bring a message tonight about a great man of God that was very strong and finally he
cried for help! * It was very unusual for Paul to cry out, "Please come to me quickly."
* Then he goes on and tells us why he is calling for help. * This got my attention when I
thought of all that happened to Paul & he never did cry for help from someone else!
* This got my attention when I thought of all that happened to Paul & never did he cry for help
from someone else! * V.9 "Hurry, come to me, I need your help!"
A) I wonder how the people that knew Paul so well must’ve felt when they got the message?
* They knew some of the things that Paul had already went through.
* Never before had they heard such a message come from this great man.
B) V.10 he tells why he is calling! * This broke his heart! * This was more than he could stand!
* The same thing that happened to Paul happens to every preacher!
* If there’s anything that weakens preachers is to see what Paul seen here!
* A man that promised to stand by him, & help him & support him, is gone. v.10
(1) PAUL HAD FOUGHT BATTLES & THE DEVIL HAD ATTACKED IN VARIOUS WAYS!
* Paul was a pulpit master! * Paul was no weakling; not lacking in power or in the anointing of
God! * Not lacking in education; vocabulary or in the ability to preach, instruct, & counsel!
* He could make decisions & carry them through, he could speak several different languages!
(2) LET’S CONSIDER THE CHANGE IN HIS LIFE! * Acts 9 talks of his conversion!
* His life changed! * If a person’s life hasn’t changed, he hasn’t been changed on the inside!
A) Your vocabulary will change - the places you go will change - the way you act will change.
* All of this will be spiritually transformed! * If your life hasn’t changed, your heart hasn’t changed!
B) After Paul had become a Christian, 5 times he was beaten with thirty nine stripes.
* He was persecuted more than any other Christian that I have ever read about!
* Twice he was beaten with rods, once he was stoned & left for dead, three times he suffered
shipwreck and he survived all this!
C) He was thrown in dungeons & he made no special cry for help!
* He could’ve become a martyr way back in his Christian life! * But he never cried for help!
D) He was in a lot of perils (danger; risk of damage, injury, or loss). * Perils of water;
* Perils of robbery; ...own countrymen; ...heathen; ...city; ...wilderness; ...sea; ...false brethren;
* ...weariness; ...painfulness; ...watchings; ...hunger & thirst; ...fastings often; cold & nakedness;
* Plus the burdens and cares of all the churches!
E) In all of this I don’t find one time Paul cried for someone to come to him and help him!
* I don’t believe there’s a person in this building would’ve went through what Paul did,
* But that we would’ve called for someone to help us!
F) When he was in prison at Philippi, he never asked anybody for a bondsman!
* He never cried for help! * You know what he did? * He prayed & sang praises to God!
* The jailer & his family got saved! * Acts 16:34 "...sat meat before them."