Malachi 3 v. 1 - 12 A Promise Keeping God -
1. THE MESSENGER - v. 1 "Behold, I will send my messenger, i.e. A:-
(a) Promised Messenger - "I will send" - Divine, Definite, & Declared.
(b) Pure Messenger - "my messenger" -
(c) Practical Messenger - "and he shall prepare the way before me: " -
(d) Powerful Messenger - "before me"
2. THE MESSIAH - 1 and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple,
His coming will be:-
(a) Sudden - Matthew 24 v. 27 "For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be."
(b) Surprising - in its moment - (unexpected), in its manner, in its meaning
(c) Specific - "come to his temple"
(d) Sure - v. 1 "behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts"
(e) Searching - v. 2 "But who may abide the day of his coming? " There is:-
(1) Power - "The day of his coming"
(2) Perception There - "who shall stand - when he appeareth"
(3) Purification There - "a refiner's fire" - & "like fuller's soap" i.e. cleansing
3. THE MEDIATION - v. 3 - 5 i.e. There Is:-
(a) Purification - 3 "he shall purify the sons of Levi and purge them as gold and silver,"
(b) Preparation - 3 " that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness."
(c) Presentation - v. 4 "Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years."
(d) Protection - v. 5 "And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts."
4. THE MANDATE - v. 6 & 7 "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?"
1. His Character is Consistent - "For I am the LORD, I change not i.e. he always Cares, Calls, Cleanses, Covers
2. His Covenant is Secure Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts
3. His Conditions are Clear - 10 - 12
Note the People Bring ye, the Portion all the tithes, the Place - "storehouse", the Purpose "prove me now" The Promise Of:-
Provision if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Protection 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
Promotion 12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.