Summary: God has a plan for every life. Many times we miss that plan by aspiring to be something different than what we were created for. This message encourages us to "Stay In Our Lane."
A. Others may try to boost you. - Luke 7:4-5
1. Be Thankful, Be a Reflector
B. Don’t believe your own press - Luke 7:6-7
1. In fact… Don’t even read your own press
2. Stay focused on pleasing God and ministering to others
II. UNDERSTANDING AUTHORITY
A. The centurion explaining leadership authority - Luke 7:8
1. The Authoritative Command - Luke 7:7 “…say in a word…”
2. The Obedience of the Servants
B. Every Christian has a ministry that fits within the overall plan of God and the work of His Church!
1. It appears that the Centurion was called to be a centurion and he exercised his faith to the point where his servant was healed.
a) He displayed humility and great faith
b) What do you think the other servants learned from watching this man trust God all the way through to his miracle?
2. Some people are called to share the Word like I do but most Christians are not. - I learned early on… Stay in Your Lane!
a) Some are called to “Business” so they can become “Paymaster’s” for God’s Vision.
b) Some are called to “Care” to help with the nurturing of the Church.
c) Some are called to “Politics” to help form Biblical policies in our communities and our nation. - The Bible should always be our moral compass.
• Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.
d) Some are called to “Music and Creative Arts” for the purpose of influencing culture for God.
e) Some are called to be “Dad and Mom” and they become shining examples of the plan of God as it relates to the family. - Strong families are the backbone of our communities, nations and Churches.
(1) If you find yourself in this category then I encourage you to help train the younger people how to be wonderful parents.
f) Some are called to Leadership, Management, Industry, Transportation, Construction…
• Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
g) WE ARE ALL CALLED TO PRAYER
C. The Practice of Divine Order is a Prerequisite to Great Faith
1. Jesus was responding to the centurion’s understanding (and practice of) Spiritual Authority. The Centurions Servant was healed because of the Centurion’s Faith in God - Luke 7:10
2. There are different levels of faith!
a) No faith - Mark 4:40 “…Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?”
c) Great Faith - Luke 7:9
• You can grow your faith - Expound
III. UTILIZING SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY
A. Jesus enters a city called Nain and interrupted a funeral procession. - Luke 7:11-17
1. This widow was going to be hopeless and probably become a beggar. (Her husband had died and now her only son had died)
2. Jesus had compassion on her and said, “Weep Not” and then He COMMANDED HER SON TO ARISE!
a) If you have authority there is no need to beg!
B. The Proof is in the Fruit - Luke 7:18-23
1. John the Baptist had two of his disciples ask Jesus if He was indeed the Messiah and Jesus responded with action. - Luke 7:21
2. Actions really do speak louder than words. - Jesus told them to go back to John and tell him what they had seen and heard. - Luke 7:22
C. Luke 7:23 - And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
1. Jesus was not what the current scholars of the day expected in the Messiah.
a) They thought Jesus would deliver them from the Romans.
b) They expected Him to be born of royalty. (if they only knew)
c) They thought He would come wielding a sword. Instead He came establishing Grace and expounding on things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
d) Some were offended when encouraged to embrace Him as the Messiah that the prophets foretold.
2. Rarely does Jesus do what is expected. He usually blows us away with something greater!
a) How many times have we missed out on the move of God because He wasn’t moving like we expected?
b) Don’t be offended when He manifests Himself totally different from what is expected!
Closing:The Properly Aligned Life