Summary: God’s desire is that we would become a prophetic people who bring hope to a troubled world.
A PROPHETIC PEOPLE: HOPE FOR A TROUBLED WORLD
(October 2009 – Bible Fellowship Church – Pastor Chris Jordan)
INTRO TO SPEAKER:
Tell brief salvation story, how Jesus Christ changed my life
Three years ago we were at BF when we got the call to go pastor BCC
Since coming to BCC, the church has been growing – people getting saved, delivered, and healed
Talk about what’s new with Liza (bookkeeper, women’s & children’s ministries) and the kids
“To them (who? v. 26 says “the saints” – that’s us) God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:27).
• What does it mean that Christ is in us, the hope of glory?
• If we really believed this truth – how could it transform our lives and our community?
THE LIFE OF JESUS:
• Jesus’ inaugural address: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed.” (Luke 4:18).
• The people’s response: “All who were there spoke well of him and were amazed by the gracious words that fell from his lips.” (Luke 4:22, NLT).
• An overview of His ministry: Quote Acts 10:38.
• Jesus said, “I didn’t come to be served, but to serve.” Everywhere He went, He asked people, “Is there anything that I can do for you?” (see Matt. 20:32 & Luke 18:41)
• Jesus was revealing to people what God was like – “If you’ve seen me, you’ve seen the Father.” But it was almost too good to be true!
• Jesus’ most shocking statement: “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away…” (John 16:7a).
• What did Jesus mean by that? “…for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7b).
• However, after the death and resurrection of Jesus, the disciples were in hiding for 50 days! Nothing had changed yet. But something was about to change all of that…
THE BOOK OF ACTS:
“When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4).
• This is what Jesus had been talking about – God came to live inside of them!
• In the Old Testament, God was ‘the God out there.’
• When Jesus walked the Earth, He was Emmanuel, ‘God with us.’
• NOW: ‘Christ is IN YOU, the hope of glory!’
THE BIG IDEA: God’s desire is that we would become a prophetic people who bring hope to a troubled world.
THREE POINTS FROM PETER’S SERMON:
1. A PROPHETIC PEOPLE:
“And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.” (Acts 2:17).