Summary: There is power in prayer and praise, but no magic formulas.
A Psalm of Praise.
Praise the LORD!Praise God in His sanctuary;Praise Him in His mighty expanse. 2 Praise Him for His mighty deeds;Praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
3 Praise Him with trumpet sound;Praise Him with harp and lyre. 4 Praise Him with timbrel and dancing;Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. 5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;Praise Him with resounding cymbals. 6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.Praise the LORD!
God inhabits the praises of His people
- He will come and visit us as we pray and praise Him
- When we let go of all the stuff
- We hold on to
- To give us dignity and properness in worship
- We can actually enter the presence of God
- And He can work miracles in our midst
Is that what we want?
- To enter into His presence
- And seek His face
- To see Him face-to-face
- To hear His voice
- To see Him high and lifted up
- And join the seraphim proclaim
- “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty”?
I tell you that can be our experience
- Because we have been invited
- To come before Him and worship
- To come to Him and worship
- To come to Him bringing our requests and prayers
There is power in prayer and in praise
- But there are no magical formulas
- No rituals, no words
- That will guarantee access and response from God
- God looks at the heart
- He sees what motivates us to come
- And what is our real heart’s desire
- He will not give to us to spend on ourselves
- He will not enrich us to make us more comfortable
- But He will bless richly the one
- Who pours out his heart to the Him
- Who lays everything down
- And seeks only to know and serve
- The Living God
- God will honor those who honor Him first
- God will lead those who submit to His leadership whole-heartedly
Let us look at this power of praise and power of prayer
Read Ps 34:1-11
I will bless the LORD at all times;His praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul will make its boast in the LORD;The humble will hear it and rejoice. 3 O magnify the LORD with me,And let us exalt His name together.
4 I sought the LORD, and He answered me,And delivered me from all my fears. 5 They looked to Him and were radiant,And their faces will never be ashamed. 6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him And saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him,And rescues them.
8 O taste and see that the LORD is good;How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! 9 O fear the LORD, you His saints;For to those who fear Him there is no want. 10 The young lions do lack and suffer hunger;But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing. 11 Come, you children, listen to me;I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
The Psalmist starts out by praising God
- Proclaiming the awesome wonders of God’s love and grace
- “I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.”
- I will bless Him at all times
- Some of those times might be when things are going well
- When you see the blessing of God in your life