Summary: A brief outline of the 23rd psalm used for a graveside service.
A quick look at Psalm 23
(1) The LORD is my shepherd;
This verse or first phrase is the key to this whole passage of scripture.
“The Lord is my Shepherd”
If Jesus is your shepherd or your God then this passage can help you.
So to begin lets answer the Question of… How do I make Jesus my God?
Acts 16:31 Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,
How do you believe ON Him rather than IN Him
Stop trusting in your works to get you to heaven and start trusting in what
Jesus did on the cross to get you to Heaven.
(1) I shall not want.
I will be satisfied with the gifts that God blesses me with.
(2) He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
God wants to take care of you; to be there for you.
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches
in glory by Christ Jesus.
He wants you to have peace in your life.
Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall
keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world
giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
(3) He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
He desires to encourage us to our very soul
He knows that your life is a reflection on Him
(4) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Today we find ourselves in the shadow of death.
He wants to be with you today.
He wants to comfort you.
That is what Jesus called the Holy Spirit.
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter,
that he may abide with you forever;
(5) Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
The greatest enemy that we ever face is the enemy of death and Hell.
Jesus conquered that enemy for us on the cross.
1 Corinthians 15:55-57 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy
victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But
thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
The anointing of the head with oil is a sign of the Holy Ghost coming over you.
I have more comfort and power through the Holy Ghost than I’ll ever need.
(6) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Once you receive the Free Gift of Eternal Life you have it for ever.
His Goodness and Mercy is with you every day.
Psalm 100:5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth
endureth to all generations.