Summary: Remembering the Past Year
A REFLECTION OF THE MEMORIES
“Let them come near and foretell to us what it is that shall happen! What are the things of long ago? Tell us, that we may reflect on them and know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come!”
Intro: When one has been influenced by someone or something, it is treasured in the mind or in their heart. Whether good or bad, it is marked in our lives. It becomes a memory that we will cherish. This year has passed us by fast. I am more than sure that many of you will agree with me, time really did past by fast! But, even then, we do have memories of this year. As I read the Word of God concerning the ending of this year and what it has brought us. I have been eager to share what God says on “A Reflection of the Memories.”
Isaiah, the prophet expels a great Word of God in this passage. He wants to know about the future and what it will hold, but than all of a sudden He says: “What are the things of long ago? Tell us, that we may reflect on them, and know their outcome;” and then he exposes that through that, we can know the things to come!
What is to come in the year 2007? I am more than sure that all of us will want to know! It doesn’t take a crystal ball to know, or calling the Psychic Number, you don’t have to read the horoscope or see Walter Mercado. Let us reflect on the memories of this year 2006 and see what will come to pass. For through the Word of God we will know!
I. GOD IS THE ONE THAT HAS WORKED IN OUR LIVES
A. Ps. 48:9 “We reflect on your loyal love, O God, within your temple.”
1. It is a reflecting of His loyal love
a. Did we really deserve what we have?
b. Why are we really where we are at?
2. It is knowing where to go to be grateful
a. In His temple
b. His House of Worship
B. Ps. 64:9 “and all people will fear. They will proclaim what God has done, and reflect on his deeds.”
1. It is to Him that we should give the honor
2. Reflect on everything He has done in our lives
3. Ps. 77:12 I will think about all you have done; I will reflect upon your deeds!”
II. WE HAVE TO TAKE THE TIME TO MEDITATE ON THOSE THINGS
A. Ps. 143:5 I recall the old days; I meditate on all you have done; I reflect on your accomplishments.”
1. How many times do we take in meditating on what God has done for us?
2. Instead of complaining, have we been grateful?
B. Hag 2:15 Now therefore reflect carefully on the recent past, before one stone was laid on another in the Lord’s temple.
1. Before we enter into the year 2007, let us be sure that we have appreciated what God has given us
III. WE HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT:
A. It was worth it!
1. Ec. 9:1 “So I reflected on all this, attempting to clear it all up. I concluded that the righteous and the wise, as well as their works, are in the hand of God; whether a person will be loved or hated – no one knows what lies ahead.”
B. Christ is the Reason
1. 2 Cor. 10:7 “You are looking at outward appearances. If anyone is confident that he belongs to Christ, he should reflect on this again: Just as he himself belongs to Christ, so too do we.”
C. We have to share our successes with our family of faith
1. Heb. 3:1 Therefore, holy “brothers,” sharing in a heavenly calling, reflect on Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession,”
D. We have to keep on going to our elders for advise and counsel
1. Dt. 32:7 “think back on the days of old, reflect on the years of age upon age. Ask your father and he will inform you, ask your elders and they will tell you:”
E. That though we might have not understood everything we have faith that the Lord would reveal it
1. 2 Ti 2 7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. “Reflexiona en lo que te digo, y el Señor te dará una mayor comprensión de todo esto.”