Summary: God is our refuge of rest in life.
A Refuge of Rest Psalm 91
Black Bart was a professional thief whose very name struck fear as he terrorized the Wells Fargo stage line. From San Francisco to new York, his name became synonymous with the danger of the frontier. Between 1875 and 1883 he robbed 29 different stagecoach. Amazingly, Bart did it all without firing a shot. Because a hood hid his face, no victim ever saw his face. He never took a hostage and was never trailed by a sheriff. Instead, Black Bart used fear to paralyze his victims. His sinister presence was enough to overwhelm the toughest stagecoach guard.
Today fear & terror have another name! Al Qaeda & terrorism....they to paralyze their victims w/ FEAR!
Illustration: 30 years ago researchers at Johns Hopkins University reported that the greatest fears of grade-school children were:
1. Animals 2. Being in a dark room 3. High places 4. Strangers 5. Loud noises.
Today, 2004, kids are afraid of :
1. Terrorism (Al Qaeda) 2. War 3. Disease 4. Divorce 5. Death
Truth is so are adults!
In today’s world...flying planes into sky scrapers - suicide (or homicide) bombers on buses or in malls
-images of war on TV
- the be-heading of innocent civilians Nicholas Berg Paul Johnson Jr. Kim Sun-il
- Are becoming common images in the News.
Black Bart has a new name:.... Osama bin Ladden / Al Qaeda & terror-ism, striking fear deep into the hearts of people.
Today the spirit of fear reeks havoc in minds & hearts of many! Unfortunately, that is true of many Christians as well!
-Soooo, is there a refuge & shelter from the fears of life? - Is it possible to live in the midst of all this craziness w/ courage? - Is God aware of my fear....does He even care?
The answers are .....YES! YES! YES!
This morning from the word of God, I want you to understand that Black Bart....Osama bin Ladden...Saddam Hussein....Al Qaeda & the most sadistic terror cell can’t hold a candle to our God!
Jesus said, “"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest...and you will find rest for your souls” -Mt 11:28-29
In other words, bring me your fear, worry & doubt & rest in ME!
He is Lord..& He offers you His courage...His peace...& His presence to all who will receive.
1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
When the trials of life....the terror of life....the temptations of life come & they will come we all need a resting place, a hiding place, a secure place.
The Psalmist makes it clear that God is...
I. A Refuge of Rest: v1-2
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
One of the resounding themes of God’s word is that He is a “refuge of rest” for his children.
Psalm 62:1 David
My soul finds rest in God alone...
Matthew 11:28 Jesus
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
3 -words to note here that are associated w/ Rest: shelter, refuge, fortress.
* The Hebrew word "Shelter" means "a place to hide from your enemies."
* The Hebrew word "Refuge" means, "A place to run to for safety."
* The Hebrew word “Fortress” means "the one who keeps me”
The Psalmist found in God a hiding place...a safe place...a resting place...from the trails...troubles...temptations...& terror of this world.
It’s interesting & telling that he used 4 names for God in one statement that give great insight into the rest of the Lord.
1. “The Most High” in Hebrew the word “El-yon” it means Possession -The implication here is that God is the owner of everything! -36 X’s in scripture God calls himself by this name. -In heaven & on earth our God owns it all, for he created it all.
2. “The Almighty” in Hebrew the word “Shaddai” it means Provision -The picture here is that God is the provider of all. - God is the one that supplies all our needs.
3. “The Lord” in Hebrew the word “Jehovah” it means Promise -This was the greatest Hebrew name for God. –The eternal one! The immutable unchanging one! - The great “I AM” who has promised to care for his people.
4. “My God” in Hebrew the word “Elohim” it means Power -The word appears some 2700 X’s in scripture - It is often associate with creation thus the though is of power.