Summary: A Royal Birth - Christmas Sermon (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
• If you have just gotten into the Christmas spirit;
• Let me apologise because I want you to turn your mind back to the summer.
• To a certain date July 22nd;
• And to a certain time 4.24pm.
• For the BBC it was the biggest global news day ever;
• With 19.4 million viewers to their website.
• From all over the globe they logged on to watch live-coverage of this event.
• Outside Buckingham Palace and outside St. Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, London;
• Crowds had queued for hours in the hope of seeing…well I’m not quite sure what?
• And in this age of technology;
• I love the fact that to the side of the front gate's,
• Behind the iron railings of Buckingham Palace.
• Somebody pinned a piece of paper to a wooden easel!
• The paper was of course palace notepaper and contained this message:
• Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son,
• At 4.24pm today.
Now to celebrate the birth of this:
• 8 pounds 6 ounce baby boy;
• Who would a few days later be named of Prince George of Cambridge.
• ill: The next day after the baby was born Britain’s biggest selling newspaper The Sun;
• Changed its name or the spelling of its name from SUN to SON!
• ill: Even the left-wing, semi-republican Guardian newspaper;
• Covered their front page with this head-line: “A Birth! A Boy! A Prince! A King!”
• Now when looking for inspiration for my Christmas Carols by Candlelight Sermon;
• I thought the Guardians headline would be spot on: “A Birth! A Boy! A Prince! A King!”
• So let’s look at those four descriptions:
(1). A Birth!
Quote: Luke chapter 2 verse 7:
“and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them”.
• As of April 2012, almost 2,000 babies are born every day in the UK.
• This means 80 babies are born every hour.
• On average, it is estimated:
• That there are approximately 130 million babies born throughout the world each year,
• According to the CIA Factbook,
• The number of babies that are born worldwide by estimate are about 247 per minute.
• The population of the world is estimated at around 7 billion people;
• The population of the world at the time of Christ was estimated at about 200 million.
• We don’t know how many babies were born that year;
• But at a guess it was…a very large amount!
• Yet this one baby born 2000 years ago in a Palestinian town has dominated history!!!
• And even split time in two B.C. and A.D.
• In 1859 a scientific expedition;
• Passed through the Grand Canyon in America.
• A lieutenant recorded these events in a journal and he made this entry in his report:
“This region…is…altogether valueless. It can be approached only from the south, and after leaving it, there is nothing to do but leave it…shall be forever unvisited and undisturbed”