Summary: 1. Unrealistic Hope 2. Genuine Hope 3. Demonstrated Hope 4. Our Hope
"Man can live without food for 30 days.
Man can live without water for 3 days, Man can live without oxygen for 3 minutes.
But man cannot live without hope for 3 second.”
- WOW! That’s some statement
- “Hope Again” - Charles R. Swindoll
-"(Hope) is something as important to us as water is to a fish
- As vital as electricity is to a light bulb
- As essential as air is to a jumbo jet.
- Hope is basic to life
- ....Without that needed spark of hope, we are doomed to a dark, grim existence.
- How often the word "hopeless" appears in suicide notes.
- …. Take away our hope, and our world is reduced to something between depression and despair
- ....hope is more than wishful thinking.
- Suicide is born out of a profound sense of hopelessness
- Hebrews 6:18–19 (AV)
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
- The two immutable things (unchangeable things) God's promise, and God's oath.
- Not only did he promise, but he swore an oath.
- In Abraham's culture, an oath meant you would kill yourself if you broke it.
1. Unrealistic Hope
Ro 8:24 … hope that is seen is not hope …
- Never think about hope in everyday routine
• You don’t think about hope going out to start the car
• Opening g the fringe to get the jug of milk
• The Pew you’re sitting in will hold you
- You don’t expect none of these to be tampered with
- All of these you have had an experience
- Hopelessness was what Judas experienced when he hung himself
- “Hope” Is not something that might happen by chance.
• I hope the my team will win their game today,
• I hope that it won't rain tomorrow
• I hope that I will win the lottery this time
- Biblical hope is not wishful thinking. Just the opposite
2. Genuine Hope
Ro. 8:25 … we hope for that we see not …
- Based in genuine trust
- Having experience & knowledge of the one who gives us hope
- Biblical hope is the farmer who plants the seed.
- He will cultivate, water, weed & expect
- Women seeing the Dr. “Your pregnant”
- A Girl with her hope chest
- The Pregnant mother – Family prepares
- Announcement made, ultrasound shows, name chosen, nursery readied
- All based on hope
3. Demonstrated Hope
- Noah building the ark
- Ab. going to a new home
- Israel applies the blood to the door
- Rehab hangs a scarlet cord
- Ruth leaves to go with Naomi
- Gideon’s torch & trumpet
4. Our Hope
Rom 8:24 We are saved by hope …
- Jesus gives us the ultimate hope
- What was not expected was the resurrection
- Confirmed by Jesus himself
- Affirmed by the witnesses
- Demonstrated by changed lives