Summary: Dad, I charge you be careful in the kind of example you are setting for your family
A Solemn Charge To Fathers- Part# 2
Text. I Timothy 5:7-8
II. Dad, I charge you, Be Careful in the Kind of Example You Set.
1. Genesis 13:12 “Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom.”
a. Notice, that this verse states, that “Lot pitched his tent toward
b. It is obvious, that Dad did it first. there by setting the example.
c. No one could accuse him of any sin, not yet.
d. Lot probably had no intention of living in Sodom.
e. All he did was pitch his tent toward that wicked city.
(1) His actions speak of worldly desires.
(2) Lot’s tent is open toward Sodom. IN the evening the last thing
he and his family saw was the bright lights of that city. Then
in the morning there is was, the city of sin. He saw it. His wife
saw it. His daughters saw it. Sodom was being absorbed by his
entire family. So it came as no surprise to learn that...
f. Lot moved his family into Sodom.
2. Let’s take another look at Abram for contrast.
a. While Lot was making friends in Sodom, Abram was becoming a
friend of God.
3. Dad, if you as a father, have traded the “friendship of God” and the
“fellowship of the saints” for the company of unbelievers, you have
made a bad mistake.
a. I can assure you that you will not be happy with the end results, for
your whole family will turn to worldly friendships and condemn their
souls into the hand of Satan. Yes, it’s that serious.
IV. Dad, I Solemnly Charge You, Be Careful, In The Matter of Family
Training, For The Whole Family Will Be Effected by Your Choices.
1. Genesis 19:14 “Lot went out, spake unto his sons-in-laws, which had
married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the
Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked upon his
a. It is clear that ’He seemed as one mocked.” He had no effect on
(1) Perhaps they said, “Dad your just an old religious fogy.” They
perceived that he was crazy. It sounds all too familiar. They paid
no attention to Lot.
b. The results were that the two married daughters and families
perished. Only Lot, his wife, and two other daughters escaped.
(1) It’s a matter of sacred record that Lot’s wife perished even tho
she escaped Sodom.
(2) The Bible is explicitly plain in outlining the two younger
daughters later infamy.
(3) The fact is Lot took is family from Sodom but he could not take
Sodom out of them.
2. Once again Abram provides a study in contrast.
a. For Abram, God said of him in Genesis 18:19 “For I know him, that
he will command his children and his household after him, and they
shall keep the way of the Lord to do justice and judgement.”
Lot was saved but as a brand from the burning fire. Gone was his property.
Gone was his position. Gone was his family. Gone was his wife. How sad
and tragic is the story of Lot. Dad what direction are you taking your family? The life in God pays big dividends now and in the world to come.
“Oh, Lord help our dad’s to be real dads and help them guide their families in Your ways”