Summary: One of Jesus’ last challenges to the Disciples/Church before the day of Pentecost.
A SPIRITUAL CHURCH
INTRO: The text is part of Christ’s last commission to His disciples before the Church was organized after Pentecost. All candidates for God’s Church must have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them.
If our Church is going to be the Spiritual Church God wants us to be, there are some things we should know.
I. FACTS ABOUT THE CHURCH IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING PENTECOST.
II. HOW THE CHURCH MAY BECOME SPIRITUAL.
1. By obeying the Word.
2. Through self-sacrifice — The disciples were in the upper room at
3. Through prayer and consecration — The disciples spent this time
III. HOW A CHURCH MAY BECOME NON-SPIRITUAL.
1. By flirting with the world.
2. By letting pride into their hearts.
3. By wanting to be like other people.
4. Through neglect of duty.
IV. THE RESULTS OF A NON-SPIRITUAL CHURCH.
1. The services are dry, draggy and disinteresting.
2. The crowds are small.
3. There are no converts.
4. The members and the pastor are discouraged.
CONC: The body without the spirit is dead, so is the church dead without the Holy Spirit. A dead church is worth as much to God as a dead body to the family.