Summary: Saul’s experience on the Damascus Road proves that God is more powerful than any Terrorist. Saul’s "religion" was keeping him from "relationship"with Jesus Christ.
Intro: Suppose Osama Ben Laden, Sadaam Hussein, or
another famous terrorist leader was reported to have
been converted to Christ. While many would be skeptical
most would agree that God’s power had been at work and
a Miracle had taken place. Such a miracle happened
to the terrorist named Saul. Let’s examine his experience and notice:
I. The Destructive Direction He was Taking (9:1-2)
*Also reference Acts 8:3*
A. His RELIGION was motivating his Persecution
of Believers in Christ.
B. He was sincere, yet sincerely WRONG!
C. He was taking a destructive direction with
his life...destroying others,and ultimately
would have destroyed himself if God had not
intervened....BUT GOD HAD A PURPOSE FOR THIS
MAN...AND DESPSITE HIS PERSECUTION OF JESUS
AND HIS FOLLOWERS, GOD LOVED HIM ENOUGH TO
STOP HIM IN HIS TRACKS!
II.The Divine "Dead-End" He Encountered (9:3-10)
A. Saul was BLINDED BY THE LIGHT
IN ORDER THAT HE MIGHT BE TOTALLY DEPENDENT
UPON GOD AND HIS APPOINTED MESSENGER, ANNIAS
B. SAUL WAS CONFRONTED BY JESUS CHRIST
1. Why do you persecute ME? (WHEN YOU
PERSECUTE BELIEVERS, YOU PERSECUTE JESUS!)
2. I AM JESUS (the most High, most powerful
and the Risen Lord! I’m the one your
prisoners speak about.
3. GET UP AND GO INTO THE CITY TO A PLACE
WHERE I WILL TELL YOU.
*Saul is at the MERCY OF JESUS...but OH WHAT
A GREAT PLACE TO BE!!!**
C. HE WAS BLIND THREE DAYS AND TOOK NO
FOOD OR WATER
1. Three days...sound familiar???
Just as Jesus encountered Hell for us
three days...so with Saul’s darkness and
D. Annias came to him ("in fear and trembling")
BECAUSE GOD HAD A PURPOSE FOR THIS MAN.
III.The Determined Duty He Accepted (9:10-18)
A. Annias was told "He is a CHOSEN VESSEL
TO BRING LIGHT UNTO THE GENTILES"
*are you seeking God’s purpose for your life?
B. I WILL SHOW HIM THE THINGS HE MUST SUFFER
FOR MY SAKE.
1. Consequences of sin still remain, although
forgiveness has transpired.
2. Saul, as Paul, would suffer greatly
throughout his Ministry. Perhaps it is
because of the cruelty with which He
terrorized believers before his conversion.
C. ANNIAS LAID HANDS ON HIM, HIS SIGHT WAS
RESTORED, AND HE WAS FILLED WITH THE HOLY
1. This is a prerequisite for any effective
ministry for the Lord: A COVERSION FROM
OUR DESTRUCTIVE DIRECTION TO THE PATHWAY
GOD HAS SET FOR US.
2. Later, this man would write most of the
Inspired New Testament...and those of us
who are not Jewish must give thanks to God
that Paul was an "ambassador" to the Gentiles.
3. The depth of Paul’s experience make his
letters even more meaningful as we today
benefit from His Teachings. HE LEARNED
1. We often are going down a destructive path.
2. Don’t wait for God to have to Stop you in your
tracks, come to Him NOW and repent!
3. God loves us enough to CONFRONT US and give
us an opportunity to choose HIS way.
4. Those who bring terror upon others will be
confronted either in this life, or in the next at
the Great White Throne Judgement.
5. Jesus Christ is more powerful than any terrorist
ancient or modern.
6. Have you prayed for God to confront the terrorists