Summary: The "U" turn for Nineveh ❶ Warned - v.4 ❷ Believed - v.5a ❸ Remorse — v.5b-7 ❹ Repented - v.8a ❺ Converted - v.8b-11
- Ramp unto interstate has signs that
warn wrong way
- If you do not stop you find yourself in
a heap of trouble
- Only escape is to go back
Examples this month
- 3:00 am Arkansas I-30
- Sleepy man traveling wrong way
crashes into grove of trees
- 12:00 am Idaho I-84 17 yr. Girl
- 2 crashes - one swerved to miss and
rolled his vehicle
- She continued on and ended up
crashing in the construction area on the Interstate
- 11:45 pm Louisiana I-12 69 yr,.
- Killed crashing into 18 wheeler going
- They say that recognizing your
problem is the first step in solving it.
- Jeremiah 6:16 Thus says the LORD:
Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it..."
Ezekiel 18:30-32 KJV
30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
Bible Definition On Repentance
I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
Psalm 119:59The Living Bible
I thought about the wrong direction in which I was headed, and turned around and came running back to you.
Malachi 3:7 KJV
Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. ....
— Returning to the Lord
— Forsaking sin
— Obedience to the Lord
— John preached it
And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Jesus preached it
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Jim Elliff of Christian Communicators Worldwide
The believer in Christ is a life long repenter. He begins with repentance and ends with repentance
- Instructed by the Lord
- Disobeyed the Lord
- Conviction from the Lord - Regret from within
- Capital of Assyria
- The queen city of the earth
- Mighty & brutal beyond imagination
- Limitless wealth from the ends of the earth
- Larger than Babylon
20 miles long — 12 miles wide
60 miles in compass
Walls 100 ft. high
3 chariots could drive abrest
Defended by 1500 towers 200’ high
- Jonah 4:11 Nineveh had 120,000
children under 3 or 4
- If 1/5 of PoP that would be over 600,000- 1 million
- Nineveh’s name is connected to Nina
- A river goddess whose image was a fish
Opportunity for Repentance
The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
Maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.”
- Jonah & Nahum both spoke to Nineveh 150 yr. apart
- Slow to anger
- Nineveh lost forever - Finally location found in 1845
THE “U” TURN WITH NINEVEH
❶ Warned - 3:4
- Joshua lost at Ai
- Joshua 7:12KJV
Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy the accursed from among you.
Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good.
❷ Believed - 3:5a
- Jonah conquered their fish God
— (Sackcloth & ashes)- 3:5b-7
And in every province, whithersoever the king’s commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.
And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.
❹ Repented - 8a
❺ Converted - 8b
- Will you now listen to Jesus as he speaks to the women caught in adultary