Summary: GOING FORWARD WITH A VISION
A VISION FOR A GREAT WORK – NEH. 2:11-20
Review Nehemiah 1-2 – He was involved in the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. It was not just a project but it was about people. Nehemiah has chosen not to just live comfortable and let his people suffer. He left the King’s court and was willing to be used of God. He had a burden that came from heaven and, he was willing to get personally involved. It was not his vision but God’s vision. Not our goals but God’s goals.
I. THE PREPARATION FOR A GREAT WORK (11 – 16)
This is the part that most want to skip or want to get hung up on – Wait upon the Lord. Dec. – Apr. Now enters the city and waits 3 days
A. To prepare For a Great Work There Must Humility in Spirit. (11-12) (Preparation always begins in the spt. “Cleanness of heart brings Clearness of vision )
1. Humble in his approach (12) – 3 days – few men– praying and listening
2. Humble in his acknowledgement – (12)
My God put in my heart – real dependence on God. God’s Vision – God’s Victory
B. To Prepare For a Great Work There Must Honesty About the Situation (Pilot and noise)
1. The personal examination
a. He surveyed b. he struggled c. he was secretive
2. He thoroughly examined – “ The true leader of God works from all the facts. He sees the problem, and sees the promises of God. He recognizes the distressing condition s that are often found in the church, but he is awake to the definite contribution that can be made by those committed to God. His vision encompasses both heaven and earth. He relates the resources of God and the need of men.” Alan Redpath.
II. THE PRESENTATION OF A GREAT WORK (17-19)
A. The Explanation –
1. He shared the condition they were in –
(We need to be reminded about our surrounding condition) – danger, shame, disgrace
Distress – evil, harm, calamity.)
2. He shared from compassion – “we”
3. He shared about his commission
a. heaven’s divine call
b. earth’s confirmation
B. The Excitement
1. The cooperation
2. The Consecration – strengthen their hands didn’t want to stay the same.
III. THE POWER FOR A GREAT WORK (19-20)
A. Power Will Be Needed Because of Opposition
(Always has opposition to God’s work – Adam & Eve)
1. Know who the enemy is
2. Know what they want – for own use and purposes
3. Know how they work – derided – discouraged ( ill. Of Col. Sanders – Waterman pen company)
B. Power Available to Overcome – The God of Heaven
Con. – Neh. is a picture of Jesus – left the king to save to come and save us.