Summary: Part 8 in a series from Proverbs dealing with the character of God
A. Thus far in our study of Proverbs have studied.
1. Answered who is a wise man?
2. Seen how to use the tongue wisely.
3. Examined a wise family.
4. Making wise plans.
5. How to be a wise friend.
6. How to use our money wisely.
7. Guarding our hearts wisely.
B. Tonight we look at our wise God.
1. By examining His attributes.
2. Coming to a realization of who He is.
3. Getting to Know Him
a) By keeping His commandments – 1 John 2:3-4
b) Learning to love Him – 1 John 4:7
c) Through the study of His word.
C. Proverbs reveals to us the wonderful God that we should…
4. Know intimately
II. The Attributes of our Wise God
A. God is a Holy God
1. Proverbs 9:10 and 30:3 describes God as The Holy One – Meaning one that is utterly different.
3. In God there is no darkness – 1 John 1:5
4. In God there is no evil and He hates that which is evil
a) God loves sinners (Romans 5:8) but hates sin.
b) God hated evil actions – Proverbs 6:17-19
1) A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood.
2) A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run to evil, false witness and sowing discord.
c) Perverse people are an abomination to God – Proverbs 3:32
5. God is so Holy that He had to separate Himself from His Son because of sin – Matthew 27:46
6. Because God is Holy He is also righteous – Proverbs 24:12
B. God is a Sovereign God
1. Sovereign because He is supreme and all knowing.
2. The Lord has made all things for Himself – Proverbs 16:4
3. He is the Creator of all things – Proverbs 3:19-20, 8:22-31, 30:4
a) Proverbs 8:15-16 – “By Me kings reign and rulers decree justice. By me princes rule and nobles, all the judges of the earth.”
b) Proverbs 21:1 – The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord.”
5. He is in control of every situation – Romans 8:28
6. He sees all things.
a) Proverbs 15:3 – “The eyes of the Lord are in every place. Keeping watch on the evil and the good.”
b) Proverbs 5:21 – “For the ways of man are before the eyes of the Lord…”
c) Hebrews 4:13 – No creature is hidden from His sight.
7. He judges all hearts – Proverbs 21:2
C. God is a Compassionate God
1. Compassion means to be moved with the concerns of others.
2. God is concerned with those in need – Proverbs 14:31
3. God is a provider of comfort and strength – Proverbs 18:10 (He is a strong tower that the righteous run to and are safe.)
4. God is concerned with our physical needs – Matthew 6:31-32
6. God is concerned with our spiritual needs
a) Proverbs 20:24 – “A man’s steps are of the Lord. How can a man understand his own way?”
b) He has provided us the way to Him – John 14:6
c) Proverbs 25:12 – “The Lord teaches us in the way we should go.”
D. God is a Just God
1. Proverbs 24:23-26 (Some keys to justice)
a) God is impartial – (23) Galatians 2:6
b) He is consistent – He calls a spade a spade (24) – James 1:17