Summary: we accessthe power of the cross by faith. The cross of Jesus offers no power for those who do not believe in that which had taken place there.
Pictures of the Cross
Review: Lets review the three messages preached so far
First- The tree that dwarfs all trees
Second- Why the cross and not some other form of death?
Third- Repentance and the Spirit of God grants access to the power of the cross
And the title of today’s message is….
Title: Accessing the power of the cross by faith
1. Why do I have a picture of the cross for us to look at?
a. The wood is visual, helping us to focus on Christ work at Calvary
b. We use pictures or this replica of the cross because a picture is worth a thousand words.
Pictures, as my friend, Mark Virkler says, is the language of the heart… ideas, are the language of the mind.
Show picture of Hussein and ask audience what images come to mind. The do the same with Pres. George Bush.
A. We access the power of the cross by faith
1. The power of the cross holds no power for those who do not believe in it.
a. Faith is the currency of heaven. Nothing takes place in earth from heaven unless activated though faith.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.
For that person must no suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;" (James 1:5-7, ESV)
b. How many times have you got done praying and asking God for something, then got up and said to yourself, I probably wont get it.
* What have you just done? Snap-just like that you have cancelled the order you placed.
And then its starts a process of doubting every time you ask.
* We had fall festival at my house last Sunday evening. It look like rain and I and my boy Aaron was looking at the dark clouds. I said, common Aaron, lets take authority over the rain.
You know what it did less than 10 minutes later? It rained – no it poured all over my party.
I told Aaron, well I guessed I missed that one and he agreed. But I said, do you know what I am going to do next time? I am still going to do it again because I believe my father wants good things for me.
c. The power of the cross holds no power for those who do not believe in it.
Do you believe that the same power that raised Christ form the dead, is in you, and will raise you up and give you so much more then you have?
b. Faith is the channel through which the power of God comes to earth
c. Faith is the fuse that lights the dynamite
* "For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." (1 John 5:4, ESV)
* "And Jesus said to him, “If you can believe! All things are possible for one who believes.”" (Mark 9:23, ESV)
Matt. 17:19-20 Same story, disciples asked Jesus why they could not cast out- because of your unbelief
1. What about you? Do you know the power of Calvary?
2. Do you know the Holy Spirit is alive and well in your heart? And that he leads and guides you?
3. How long has it been since you confessed the sins that keep you down?