Summary: When God calls you to service, Go!
Accepting Your Calling
INTRO: A. Paul’s Hebrew background
1. Native Hebrew Ro 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, [of] the tribe of Benjamin.
2Co 11:22 Are they Hebrews? so [am] I. Are they Israelites? so [am] I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so [am] I.
2. Trained in all Hebrew, Judaism Torah-Law OT
Philip 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, [of] the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
3. Customs, traditions, family, friends, home all leads to serve
the Jewish people
B. His Love for the Jewish nation/people
1. His Desire: To Win Jews
a. Wanted is nation to come to Christ
Ro 9:2-3 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
b. Heart ached for the souls of his own nationality
Ro 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
c. Patriot, loyal, loved His people
2. His Effort in Acts to reach Jews
a. Ac 9:19-24 After salvation, @ Damascus, tried to convert the
local Jews They conspired to kill him
b. Ac 9:25-29 Let down by basket at Damascus, to Jerusalem
1. Went to Jerusalem, remained their trying to convince people to
believe, then the Greek speaking Jews wanted him dead
c. Missionary Journeys:
1. New town effort first at the local synagogue
d. Yet continued every chance got to go back to Jerusalem to
try to reach Jews
1. Even his last time in Jerusalem, when he was arrested by the Romans and eventually taken to Rome He had been trying to preach to the Jews
3. His Calling
Ac 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
a. The church recognized first & sent Him out as a
missionary with Barnabas
b. It is even after 3 missionary Journeys, in jail, God’s call
becomes clear as he rehearsed it to Jews in Jerusalem
1. Writing letter to Gal. he acknowledges this
2. Finally he concludes, “You know what? This is what I am suppose to be doing. I am the apostle to the Gentiles”
Ga 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
1. Writes Timothy of His calling 2Ti 1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
c. Letter to Roman Church Ro 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
4. The great Apostle Paul was either slow or stubborn
a. But it reminds you & I that it is easy to let our personal
agenda get in the way of God’s will for our life
b. It is important to listen to His Spirit’s voice
1. Less stress, troubles and heartache
5. Some things we need to recognize, about God’s call on our
I. Recognize Who is in charge