Summary: LONLINESS CAN BE A GREAT ENEMY OF PEOPLE. IT IS ALSO AN ENEMY THAT CAN BE DEFEATED.
ACHIEVING VICTORY OVER LONLINESS: PART TWO
THEME: LONLINESS IS A PART OF OUR LIVES, BUT IT DOESN’T HAVE TO RULE OUR LIVES. WE CAN HAVE VICTORY OVER IT, EVENTUALLY THRUOGH CHRIST.
LAST WEEK I INTRODUCED YOU TO FOUR MAJOR AREAS OF OUR LIVES WHERE WE ARE PRONE TO FIND LONLINESS.
WE FOUND OUT THAT LONLINESS WAS A GIFT FROM GOD IN THAT IT IS AN EMOTION THAT IS USED TO BRING US TOGETHER, AND WAS CREATED BEFORE THE FALL, AND GOD SAID THAT ALL THINGS CREATED BEFORE THE FALL WERE VERY GOOD, SO LONLINESS MUST BE A GIFT FROM GOD.
WE ALSO REALIZED THAT IT WAS A GIFT THAT COULD BE AND IS MANIPULATED BY SATAN TO FORM A SPIRITUAL PRISON AROUND US, AND ROB US OF MANY BLESSINGS GOD HAS IN STORE FOR US THROUGH OTHERS.
WE LOOKED AT THE AREA OF LONLINESS DUE TO OUR CIRCUMSTANCES AND SOME WAYS THAT WE MIGHT DEAL WITH THIS ELEMENT, THE KEY PASSAGE BEING 1 TIMOTHY 6:3-10.
If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain. 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
THE PASSAGE TELLS US THE FOLLOWING:
TO GAIN VICTORY OVER LONLINESS WE MUST:
1. MAINTAIN A PROPER WALK WITH THE LORD.
2. GODLINESS WITH CONTENTMENT IN THE THINGS THAT WE HAVE, IS OF GREAT GAIN.
3. THAT THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL KINDS OF EVIL, AND WE HAVE TO JUDGE WHETHER OR NOT THE PROFIT IS WORTH THE COST?
4. WE SAID THAT AS PEOPLE LEAVE HOMES TO GO TO SCHOOL OR FOR EMPLOYMENT THAT GOD GIVES US THE CHANCE TO HAVE A NEW AVENUE OF RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM, THAT WILL LEAD US TO GREAT ANTICIPATION OF SEEING THEM AGAIN, NOT THE LONLINESS OF NOT HAVING THEM THERE.
5. THAT IN THE CASES WHERE SICKNESS AND CONDITIONS SUCH AS ALSHEIMER’S INVADE OUR FAMILIES. THAT A PROPER UNDERSTANDING ON HEAVEN, CAN BE A GREAT HELP.
TODAY WE ARE GOING TO LOOK AT THE OTHER THREE AREAS:
1. LONLINESS AS A RESULT OF POSITION.
2. LONLINESS THROUGH BREAK-UPS.
3. LONLINESS AS A RESULT OF DEATH.
I THINK WE WILL FIND THAT THERE ARE SOME COMMON PRINCIPLES FROM OUR TEXT THAT WILL APPLY TO ALL OF THESE SITUATIONS.
POINT ONE: LONLINESS AS A RESULT OF POSITION:
ONE MAY THINK THAT THIS APPLIES PRIMARILY TO PROFESSIONALS, AND IT CERTAINLY CAN DO THAT, BUT LONLINESS AS A RESULT OF OUR POSITION CAN INVADE OUR PERSONAL LIVES AS WELL. CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING POSSIBILITIES: