Summary: This is study of Acts Chapter 11 it is the 14th studay in the series on Acts
Study of Acts
Acts # 14
In Chapter eleven we see some oppositon to the gospel being preached to the Gentiles. Peter was being accused of fellowshipping with them. We can relate to this by seeing the reaction of some to salvation of others. Some time we can not get past the past life’s of people. We want to hold their past against them. We do not want to forgive people we do not want to give them a chance to grow in the Christian life. That is what is happening in this text of Scripture. Some of the Jewish Christians are having a problem with Gentiles becoming Christians. The reason is because they have been taught the Gentiles were dogs and that God did not care about anybody but the Jewish nation.
In this chapter we will see Peter defend his action and also we will see that salvation also coming to all races in the city of Antioch. Another thing we will see is that Paul will be coming back into the scene and will be taking a major part from this point to the end of the book of Acts.
I. The opposition that arose at because of the Salvation of Gentiles. 11:1-18
NOTE: There will always be opposition when so called undesirable people come to Jesus Christ. People will question the motives. People will say that is not the kind of Person that we want in this group. People will question the motives of the one that presents the Gospel. They might be asked what their agenda.
A. The word was spread that the Gentiles had received the Word of God. 1
B. The Jewish Christians took issue with Peter because he shared the Gospel with undesirable people.
C. Peter told of the events that lead him to do that.
1. Peter re-told the story.
2. Peter remembered the words of Jesus.
3. Peter realized he could not stand in the way of God.
D. The reaction of the others.
1. They quieted down.
2. The glorified God because they understood that God now allowed Gentiles salvation also.
II. The Gospel is spread to other parts of the world. 11:19-24
A. It was spread by those that were fleeing because of the persecution that Started when Stephen was murdered.
B. The Gospel spread to major cities of that Day.
1. Phoenicia: This was a reach sea port city. It was a very wealthy city. It was a narrow strip of land between the Mediterranean Sea and the Lebanon Mountains.
2. Cyprus: Is a large island in the eastern Med. It was and important source for timber and copper. It was am major trade center.
3. Antioch: This was the third largest city in the Roman Empire. It also was a sea port. (Antioch was the second most important city in the spread of Christianity.)
C. The preachers of the Gospel.
1. There was one set of people that were preaching to the Jews only.
2. There were some from Cyprus and Cyrene speaking to the Greeks.
a. They were preaching Jesus.
b. The hand of the Lord was on them.
c. Many people were being Saved.
D. The news spread to Jerusalem and they sent some one to help. Barnabas.
E. The arrival of Barnabas.
1. He witnesses the Grace of God.
2. He rejoiced in what he saw.
3. He began to encourage them to be true.