Summary: Answer to a question could Adam and Eve converse with the animals as we now converse with each other.
6:00 P. M. Service
Intro: The question before us is this, was man able to intelligibly speak with the animals in the garden prior to the fall. Thus we must look to Genesis 1:26 - 28 (quickview) , "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."
Core: Man was given dominion over every living creature. That means many things. It means to have dominion one must be in command and be able to communicate his instructions.
Body I. God made man a living soul we see in Genesis 2:7 (quickview)  "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
A. Man was created in God’s image.
1. He became a living soul.
1. He had several responsibilities here.
1. He was busy with God’s work.
1. He was fulfilling the will of God.
A. But also he was searching.
1. He was searching for a helper.
1. Actually God was showing him the fact that he had certain needs.
1. That need was for companionship.
1. Someone to be able to have communion.
A. Notice in verse 18 what God said about man, "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."
1. Man needed that companionship.
1. Man needed that perfect mate.
1. Notice that only God can supply that perfect mate.
1. That soul mate as it is called today.
A. So Adam searched for that perfect soul mate.
1. God showed man his need had not yet been fulfilled.
1. Look at verse 19 of Chapter 2, "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof."
1. Adam named all the animals everyone that God created.
1. He named them as they came before him.
II. But notice he couldn’t find the companionship he needed, not even with a monkey.
A. Look at verse 20, "And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him."
1. "An help for him"-was not to be found among the animals.
2. That means he was in communication with these animals searching for a helper, a mate.
3. But one was not to be found.
4. Not among any creature or animal.
B. A helpmeet is one who is able to agree and answer him.
1. A counterpart,
2. The other half of him.
3. A man is but half a man until he is married.
4. God’s intention is for men and women to marry and reproduce.