Summary: The Church can effectively change the world around it by avoiding three negative attitudes that can make it ineffective.
C-entral Theme: The church changing the world
O-bjective: The Church can effectively change the world around it by avoiding three negative attitudes that can make it ineffective.
R-ationle: Attitude #1: COMPLACENCY
Attitude #2: COMPROMISE
Attitude #3: COLDNESS
R-esources: Introduction: "Change is inevitable"
Visual Illustration Props:
1. Lazy Boy Chair for COMPLACENCY
2. Ice Chest with Ice Cream in it and a bottle of Chocolate Syrup
3. Legal Document for COMPROMISE
4. A plate with some Brownies on it.
5. Heater and blanket for COLDNESS
Conclusion: "Are You God?"
E-valuation: Has the potential to move people to be world changers and not world watchers
Change is never easy. It’s neither easy for me or for you. But change is inevitable. Yet change is a choice. Today’s message is not about you and I changing but you and I acting as the agents of change in a world that is in desperate need for change. Actually not a mere change on the surface of things but a complete transformation.
Mark 16:15 through Mark 16:18 (NIV)
15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."
In order for the Church of Jesus Christ to change the world in which it has been placed it is going to have to rid itself of three detrimental attitudes, first of which is................
I. ATTITUDE OF COMPLACENCY
A. CREATURES OF COMFORT
1. One of the greatest tools that the enemy has used against the church to keep it from being an effective agent of change in our society and world is COMFORTABILITY.
Illustration: Lazy Boy & the Christian
We all like comfort and don’t want to give it up. The church world and the secular world, it doesn’t matter because we are all human.
2. We have been lured into believe the lie that we are to be comfortable at all times and at all cost. Think about Jesus the Son of God, He didn’t even have a house to call his own. And we grip and complain about whether it is too hot or cold in church.
Matthew 8:20 (NIV)
20Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
3. Instead of us the Church of Jesus Christ affecting, effecting and infecting our American society and changing it we have allowed the American society to affect and change us. We have gotten used to convenience because it’s our culture.
4. Convenience is great but it has been a curse for the church. God hasn’t asked us to love and serve Him at our convenience but due to our American mindset we do just that with God we serve Him at our convenience.
5. The curse of comfort will keep Jackson First Assembly of God from being the agent of change in Jackson, Alabama. God has never told us to be the initiators of change or even to promote change but He has called us to be the perpetrators of change. We are to actually change the world in which we live.