Jesus said, "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) Characteristics of fishers of men:
1. They catch fish. They do more than talk about fishing in meetings. Neither do they allow themselves to be caught up in such maintenance activities as repairing their nets, buying the latest lures, or giving seminars to others about how to fish. They are productive people who have something to show for their efforts. You know them by the fruit of their labors.
2. Fishermen are passionate about fishing. In many cases they would rather fish than do just about anything. They do not mind all of the hassles of the long hours because they are satisfied with the processes, purposes, & identities that come in the course of their lifestyle. Fishing is more than just a job it is a way of life.
3. Fishermen are a unique breed who do not mind being misunderstood. They don't mind when people laugh at them about their seemingly lower class standing in the community. They believe that they are on a holy mission from God that transcends social-economic class. They are not afraid of being disliked for what they do even by their relatives who would prefer that they take a more profitable job some where closer to the people of power.
4. Fishermen don't get sidetracked by disappointments. Even if a fishermen does not catch a great quantity of fish one day does not mean that he is not ready & eager to get up early the next day as one never knows when the Lord will provide a great catch. Fishermen are dependent on the Lord for the success just as much as the farmer is dependent on the Creator for their harvests.
5. Fishermen are enterprising without being self-serving. Wise fishermen know that they cannot over harvest their fishing fields or the breeding stock will be killed off. They are able to know their times so that they can utilize the best seasons to fish. They are patient waiting on the Almighty God to give them favorable seas where they can bring in the maximum harvest.
6. Fishermen are equipped with tools for all kinds of jobs. In order to accomplish their jobs, fishermen have the latest equipment, knowledge, & machinery to make the most of every opportunity. They are constantly reading the latest journals, articles, & news bulletins to find out the best places, methods, & tools to catch the kind of fish that will be most fruitful.
7. Fishermen learn a great deal through on the job training. By never ceasing in their learning about the art & science of fishing they are able to acquire new ideas from just about any other fishermen. They are never too proud to learn from even the youngest of their kind. They recognize the diversity of gifts & abilities & callings in their industry so as to utilize a diverse portfolio of people in accomplishing their mission.
8. Fishermen do not sit around & just philosophize about fishing. These are men who are busy with the task of bringing fish into their boats. They sometimes grow discontent with others who are just content to be spectators. Realizing that they will always have critics they have developed a thick skin to deflect accusations from their peers.