Summary: A powerful preacing message of the role of the Holy Spirit as Peter preached to Cornelius and the Gentiles.
Pastor Allan Kircher
“All about the Holy Spirit”
Acts series: God’s Vision and Power for Shell Point Baptist.
As we continue in the Book or Acts let’s refresh our memory:
The church had been founded on the Day of Pentecost.
• It had exploded in Jerusalem,
• then it exploded all throughout Judea and Samaria,
• People were being saved everywhere along the way.
• Great revivals were breaking out, particularly in Samaria under the ministry of Philip and, as well, Peter and John and the other apostles.
• Peter was moving around.
The strictness of the Jewish Law was losing its hold on Peter:
His walls were coming down..His prejudices of his upbringing crumbling one by one.
• He was the preacher to the unsaved.
• He was also the teacher to the saints.
• He was available to God, and he moved about from place to place.
In Chapter 9, he healed Aeneas/8 yr paralytic
God is moving mightily in his life..he keeps moving.
On his knees praying he Raised Dorcas from the dead.
Peter’s walls are tumbling slowly and steadily…..
It’s all about the Holy Spirit…He’s living for the glory of God.
We finish chapter 9 with Peter staying at Simon the tanner’s house.
No self-respecting Jew would have anything to do with such a man.
But the strictness of the Jewish Law was losing its hold on Peter
• Peter’s prejudices/being melted down by our Lord.
• The Jail cell/Jewish traditions/training/legalism/prejudice is crumbling…..
There's one key left in Peter's hand that hasn't yet been put in a door and turned, and that's the...the key that opens the church to include the Gentiles.
And so Peter is about to unlock that last door, and that's gonna be a tough key for Peter to turn,
• It’s a key only the Holy Spirit can provide.
• Peter preaches his sermon to Cornelius/family/friends.
• God has prepared Peter through the HS.
Now I want us to look at this simple straight-forward message.
I can't improve upon it, I can't embellish it, I want only to make it clear so that you understand what the gospel of the resurrection is
Now let’s look at our text through the eyes of the visual Bible.
The Holy Spirit Is Free to Do as He Pleases
The Holy Spirit is free to come and to go whenever and however he pleases.
• He is free/give gifts/withhold gifts,
• To regenerate/convict and baptize and seal and fill
• And comfort and counsel whenever he wills according to his own infinite wisdom.
• He is not bound to make any of our programs work.
• He is not constrained to do what we think he should do when we think he should do it.
• He is God. And he is free.
Hebrews 2:4 says that when the gospel came to those people, God "bore witness with signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy spirit distributed according to his own will."
According to his own will" means that the Spirit is free and sovereign in the way he gives his gifts and works his miracles.