Summary: HEAVEN IS OUR GOAL IN THIS LIFE AND A GIFT FROM GOD ALMIGHTY THROUGH HIS SON JESUS CHRIST!
ALL THINGS NEW
REVELATION 21: 1-7
MARCH 29, 2005
INTRODUCTION: “Some glad morning when this life is o’er, I’ll fly away; To a home on God’s celestial shore, I’ll fly away. I’ll fly away, O glory, I’ll fly away; (in the morning); When I die, hallelujah, by and by, I’ll fly away. When the shadows of this life have gone, I’ll fly away; Like a bird from prison bars has flown, I’ll fly away. Just a few more weary days and then, I’ll fly away; To a land where joys shall never end, I’ll fly away!”
When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound and time shall be no more and the morning breaks eternal, bright and fair – When the saved of earth shall gather over on the other shore and the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there! When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder – When the roll is called up yonder I’ll be there!
Sing the wondrous love of Jesus, sing His mercy and His grace; in the mansions bright and blessed He’ll prepare for us a place. While we walk the pilgrim pathway clouds will over spread the sky; but when traveling days are over, not a shadow, not a sigh. Let us then be true and faithful, trusting serving every day; Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay. Onward to the prize before us! Soon His beauty we’ll behold; Soon the pearly gates will open, we shall tread the streets of gold. When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be! When we all see Jesus, We’ll sing and shout the victory.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: As I read those words, those famous hymns, what came to your mind? Did you feel a little excitement? Did you want to sing along? Did your mind rush to Heaven and the hope we all share that one day, one glorious day, this struggle will all be over and we shall see Him? There is another song that comes to my mind. I don’t know it really, but the title and maybe one line: “Heaven is getting sweeter all the time!”
As we gather here this day to celebrate the life of one we loved and see no more, the Hope of Heaven grows stronger in all our minds! There may be times when we ignore the truth of our God, but at times like these how thankful we are for His perfect plan of Salvation and the Hope of Heaven HE so Freely offers!
Our New Testament scripture reveals to us once more the bright and blessed hope of Heaven. Let’s thing about heaven for just a couple of minutes together!
THESIS SENTENCE: HEAVEN IS OUR GOAL IN THIS LIFE AND A GIFT FROM GOD ALMIGHTY THROUGH HIS SON JESUS CHRIST!
I. HEAVEN IS A NEW ADDRESS [New Jerusalem (Vs. 1-2)]
A. Old things pass away!!
1. This is a reminder of Gen. 1:1 God had created everything out of Nothing. The last book of the bible reminds us of the first book of the bible.
2. Then the problem, Genesis 3. Sin entered the world. God goes from saying, “It is very Good” to “What is this you have done?” The curse had arrived!!
3. Even creation itself was waiting for this: Romans 8 tells us, “All of creation waits with eager longing for God to reveal his children. For creation was condemned to lose its purpose, not of its own will, but because God willed it to be so. Yet there was the hope that creation itself would one day be set free form its slavery to decay and would share the glorious freedom of the children of God. For we know that up to the present time all of creation groans with pain, like the pain of childbirth” (vv. 19-22).
4. One ASIDE here: No More Sea?? What is that all about? The Sea has always been an obstacle. An obstacle to reaching other people. An obstacle for survival; the sea claims many lives of those brave enough to cross her! There is also a reminder of the Flood here; the reminder that God will never use water to destroy the earth again.
B. Behold, he makes all things new!!
1. Once more God unleashes His creating Power and “EX NIHILO,” God creates again out of nothing and makes it something!!!
2. BUT, it is not just any something; it is a new heaven and a new earth. It is not just a new creation, either; it is a HOLY CREATION, THE NEW JERUSALEM:
3. The old Jerusalem had been the center of worship for God’s chosen people, but in the end it had been the place of rejection for HIS CHRIST!! NOW God has set things the way they are supposed to be. Jerusalem is a bride prepared to meet her HUSBAND, not reject him. She is Beautifully Dressed in Holiness!!