Summary: God is always working to get His people follow Him with all their heart. However, we are prone to wander far from God's perfect design. Why do we choose the temporal things of the world over the eternal things of God?
Illus: (Sermon Central) In June 1995 the space shuttle Discovery was being readied to be launched to meet with the Mir space station to begin working toward the International Space Station. One of man’s most daunting endeavors. Billions and billions of dollars had been spent, the world’s brightest minds, the day picked carefully, the weather patterns checked and many obstacle had to be overcome and solved.
But there were weird tapping noises emanating from launch pad 39-B. A close inspection revealed woodpeckers had chipped away and put holes in the insulating covering of the fuel cells. Discovery did not launch that day.
We have to choose to check everything, not just the big sins in our lives, but the little ones also.
2 Chronicles 24/ 2 Kings 12 tell of a similar tells of a similar situation. God’s people were perfectly positioned to launch into revival. But some little problems and little sins prevented it from happening. Great obstacles were overcome, 6 years of godly training and instruction were accomplished. But, it never happened.
Why? What stops revival from happening in God’s people? I can tell you, it is not God’s choice, it’s ours.
A Dichotomous Situation-(2 ways)
1. V1 Some clues: Mother was Zibiah of Beersheba. Choices
A) “Well of oath” Gen 21 Where Abraham and Abimelech made oath. God met Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at this location (Jacobs ladder Gen. 28)
B) It had become an idolatrous place- (Amos 5:5/8:14) Do not go the way of Beersheba…
C) On one hand it is a place made holy by God, on the other it is a place to be corrupted by Satan.
2. V2-3 Did right as long as Jehoiada was alive. Jehoiada chose Joash’ 2 wives. (Fathers role)
3. Joshua 24:15 “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Priests Chose to Be Lazy-no revival
1. V4-7 To make new (restore) and strengthen (repair) the house of The Lord.
A) Clue is found in 20:33 “But the high places were not taken away; because the people had not yet prepared their hearts unto the God of their fathers.
B) Kids today are not leaving “their” faith, they are leaving the faith of their fathers.
Joash Chose to Have Temple Restored-revival
1. V8-14 Temple was rebuilt and sacrifices were made all the days of the High Priest Jehoiada.
Jehoiada Dies-revival slows
1. V15-16 Jehoiada was 130 and was buried in city of David with the kings for he had done good. (tov)
The People Chose to Fall Away-revival stops
1. V17-19 The people quit following God and God’s way. They did what they wanted to do. V19 Even though God sent prophets to Judah, the people would not listen.
“Why didn’t full revival take place?” We don’t want to commit the same things that led to Israel’s failure.
Next week we will look at 4 obstacles we must overcome in our own lives to bring revival.