Summary: God wants us to learn how to pray. To get alone in the secret place until we’re not alone anymore. To learn how to hear His voice, and enjoy fellowship with Him.
THE SCHOOL OF PRAYER #1: ALONE WITH GOD
THE SUMMER OF SEEKING:
“And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:13).
• Starting tonight and every Sunday from 6-7 pm this summer. Come and join us.
• Prayer is one of the most powerful forces in the world – prayer changes things!
• However, many Christians today don’t know how to pray, and therefore don’t pray.
• Therefore, we are opening the school of prayer with the Master Teacher, Jesus!
“Now it came to pass, as Jesus was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray.” (Luke 11:1).
QUOTE: (Andrew Murray, With Christ in the School of Prayer).
"The disciples had learned to understand something of the connection between Christ’s wondrous life in public and His secret life of prayer. They had been with Him and had seen Him pray. They had learned to believe in Him as a Master in the art of prayer. None could pray like Him. And so they went to Him with the request, "Lord, teach us to pray." Go, my brothers! Go to the Blessed Master and ask him to enroll your names in that school which He always keeps open for those who long to study the Divine art of prayer! Jesus has opened a school in which He trains those who especially desire to have power in prayer. Enter it with the petition, "Lord, this is just what we need to be taught! O, teach us to pray!"
THE BIG IDEA: God wants us to learn how to pray. To get alone in the secret place until we’re not alone anymore. To learn how to hear His voice, and enjoy fellowship with Him.
“But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.” (Matthew 6:6-9).
• The first thing we need to do is find a place to get alone – the secret place.
• This can be your bedroom, office, or going for a walk in the woods.
• Take the time to talk to God, but also allow Him to talk to you.
• Take your Bible with you, and as you read it, ask God to speak to you from it.
• The first thing Jesus teaches us about prayer = we pray to our Father in Heaven.
• The whole story of the Bible is God longing for a personal relationship with human beings. From the first words that God spoke to Adam and Eve in Genesis when they sinned, “Where are you?” to the words of Jesus to the church in Revelation 3:20: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” God wants our hearts!
DRAMATIZE: 1 Samuel 3:1-11:
The cast: The boy Samuel, Eli, the Lord’s voice, the lamp, the tabernacle,