Summary: Be ready for his return!
Theme: Book of Luke
Purpose: to live on purpose, be watchful and ready for his return
• A teacher asked the children in her Sunday school class, "If I sold my house
and my car, had a big garage sale and gave all my money to the church, would I get into Heaven?" "NO!" The children all answered. "If I cleaned the church every day, mowed the yard, and kept everything neat and tidy, would I get into Heaven?" Again, the answer was "NO!" "Well," the teacher continued, "then how can I get to Heaven?" In the back of the room, a 5 yr. old boy shouted out, "You gotta be dead!!!"
• Last week we looked at the way we receive God’s Word, his message into our lives. I hope you heard with ears that hear this week as you spent time in God’s Word. Today we are going to take a look at the future. The future is something we all have to face. The question I have for you today is, “Are you ready?”
• We all have an appointment at sometime in our life (unless Jesus returns first) with death. After death we all will have a second appointment. That appointment is with God. My question for you today is, “Are you ready?”
• I am not the type who plays the grim reaper all the time to remind you of what WILL come in your future pertaining to the end of life, but sometimes we need to give it some thought.
• Most of us who are a bit older have begun or have given thought to investing for the future. We do not want to get to a point where we cannot take care of ourselves financially.
• What are we doing to prepare for our eternal future? In the first 34 verses of Luke 12, Jesus is speaking on the subject of the folly of fearing man instead of trusting God. Now in verses 35-48 He is going to share three short parables to illustrate the importance of being ready for the day of His return! This morning, I want to know if Jesus came this very morning, would you be ready?
• This morning let us look at why we need to always be ready.
I. THE TIME OF JESUS RETURN IS UNKNOWN (35-38)
• Let us look at verses 35-38. READ
• How many of us know when Jesus is going to return? The bible tells us that we do not know when the Lord will return.
• MARK 13:32-33 " No one knows about hat day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.”
• If you do not know when the Lord is going to return, then are we preparing for His return? The other factor in this though is the fact that the time of our own death is unknown. When you put those two things together, it would be wise for us to be in a state of readiness.
• In this first parable, Jesus wants us to understand we are to be watchful and ready at all times.
• In verse 35 Jesus tells us to be dressed in readiness. The Message version say, “Keep your shirts on and keep the lights on.” Other versions speak of being ready for action.
• In Jesus day people wore a long outer garment that looked like a robe. When they were going to do some hard work or run somewhere, they would pull the bottom of the robe up and tuck in it in their belt so it would not get in the way while they worked.