Summary: In a time of war and acts of terrorism, is it appropriate time to give thanks? I believe everyday of our lives is a time to give thanks.
Always Give Thanks
This week our nation gives thanks for all our bountiful blessings
This year, some will find it hard to give thank in the midst of such tragedies
In a time of war and acts of terrorism, some would say that it is not a time to give thanks
But I say that everyday of our lives, regardless of the circumstances around us, is a time to give thanks
1. Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.
Thank God, He has not and will not change!
God is good all the time
He is Holy, Righteous, Merciful and Loving
His mercy shall endure forever (we all need it)
The same mercy God had on Noah and his family,
When Israel was in bondage in Egypt
That led Joshua into many victories
That restored David after he fell into sin
That rescued Daniel in lion pit
That set Peter free when he was imprisoned
That set Paul and Silas free & shook the walls of the prison like an earthquake
On that Day (Judgement) on those who have called upon His name.
Heb 13:1 He is the same yesterday, today…
2. Let Israel now say, "His mercy endures forever."
We are grafted in that tree – let us say...
3. Let the house of Aaron now say, "His mercy endures forever."
4. Let those who fear the Lord now say, "His mercy endures forever."
Not only those born a Jew, Not just the order of priests, but ALL who fear the Lord
By living in the reverential fear of the Lord, you can have a confidence that his mercy is upon you
And we are to declare this to our generation
5. I called on the Lord in distress; The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
Another tremendous reason for giving thanks - We have a God who hears our prayers!
He hears them AND He is moved by them
When trials come upon us, we can call upon God
“In distress” – (out of my anguish), in your pain, when you have nothing left
When you call upon Him in the good times, it will be a natural reaction to call upon Him in hard times
“a broad place” – (a well watered plain), from a confined place to a place of liberty
His voice still & small but the answer is HUGE
His voice is simple but the revelation is profound
6. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?
I am thankful that I do not have to live in fear
Rom 8:31 “…If God be for us, who can be against us?”
So many people are worried about so many things
What can man do to you?
Phl 4:21 “For to me, to live is Christ but to die is gain”
Be thankful… we win either way – we have ‘no fear’
7. The Lord is for me among those who help me; Therefore I shall see my desire on those who hate me.
Give thanks that God is a jealous God
He loves His people, He is partial to His people
8. It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man.